Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 European Literbike Shootout - Video (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20291-2012-european-literbike-shootout-video.html)

Administrator 05-22-2012 04:10 PM

2012 European Literbike Shootout - Video

Original Article:
2012 European Literbike Shootout - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 European Literbike Shootout - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 05-22-2012 06:21 PM

Bravo

I thought the BMW would win overall. I look forward to the finale. It should be quite interesting.

ShamanWS6 05-22-2012 07:15 PM

It's a fair assessment, and the fact that the Aprilia could easily have won if it were a little cheaper or a little more comfortable - but won in the hearts of the testers anyways - makes this a truly good article.

Having ridden both (and many other bikes), the S1000RR is like dry white toast - it gives you all you need in a carbohydrate - but it isn't exciting. Not at anything but a track pace... at track pace... wahey! that motor has something to say... but ultimately you need a big track to make that work for you, as well. It's not a lot of fun porpoising off the hairpins with BMW's crude wheelie control, either... It's a great bike... but character isn't its thing.

And poor Ducati... they make a monstrous v-twin, the likes of which the world has never seen... they get the weight so incredibly low that most 600cc bikes are heavier and put the best of electronics, brakes, suspension on it... and still get beaten by the "value" version of Aprilia's RSV4 in most (all?) subjective tests. Ouch.

And yet you'd have to be a complete moron not to love any of these bikes... just maybe not all the time, in the case of the ducati's seat and riding position... heheh

Kevin_Duke 05-22-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShamanWS6 (Post 275482)
It's a fair assessment, and the fact that the Aprilia could easily have won if it were a little cheaper or a little more comfortable - but won in the hearts of the testers anyways - makes this a truly good article.

Having ridden both (and many other bikes), the S1000RR is like dry white toast - it gives you all you need in a carbohydrate - but it isn't exciting. Not at anything but a track pace... at track pace... wahey! that motor has something to say... but ultimately you need a big track to make that work for you, as well. It's not a lot of fun porpoising off the hairpins with BMW's crude wheelie control, either... It's a great bike... but character isn't its thing.

And poor Ducati... they make a monstrous v-twin, the likes of which the world has never seen... they get the weight so incredibly low that most 600cc bikes are heavier and put the best of electronics, brakes, suspension on it... and still get beaten by the "value" version of Aprilia's RSV4 in most (all?) subjective tests. Ouch.

And yet you'd have to be a complete moron not to love any of these bikes... just maybe not all the time, in the case of the ducati's seat and riding position... heheh

Thx for weighing in, Shaman. Haven't seen you in awhile. And since you agree with us, you're obviously a wise man!

Kevin_Duke 05-22-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShamanWS6 (Post 275482)
It's not a lot of fun porpoising off the hairpins with BMW's crude wheelie control, either...

That's not really an issue since the 2012 tweaks.

The Spaceman 05-23-2012 05:24 AM

Wow, you guys were hanging out with THE Scott Russell, Mr. Daytona?!? He's one of my M/C heros; I watched him many years at Daytona; coming from last place to win the 200, saw him flogging HD's last-ditch effort bikes for all they were worth...I think he even rode a Ducati at Daytona at one point in his career. Did you get his autograph?

Oh yeah, the bikes: what never ceases to amaze me about the BMW S1000RR is how quickly the company was able to become not only competitive, but a winner in a class of bikes they'd not even dabbled in a few years ago. That's impressive as hell when you consider how long Ducati has been at it.

Kevin_Duke 05-23-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 275485)
Wow, you guys were hanging out with THE Scott Russell, Mr. Daytona?!? He's one of my M/C heros; I watched him many years at Daytona; coming from last place to win the 200, saw him flogging HD's last-ditch effort bikes for all they were worth...I think he even rode a Ducati at Daytona at one point in his career. Did you get his autograph?

Your memory is accurate but a bit hazy. Russell's career essentially ended on a Ducati at Daytona when his engine quit and he was piled into from behind in one of the most gut-wrenching crashes ever seen on a starting grid. We didn't get his autograph, but we did get video of his ride on our Panigale and his comments afterward, which you'll see in a future article. Spoiler alert: he really liked it and had some interesting things to say.

Buzglyd 05-23-2012 02:37 PM

I met this guy at the local Italian bike dealer. He's from Italy and it turns out he lives near me.

He rides an MV Brutale 910. I mentioned I had ridden the Aprilia Tuono and was going on about how awesome the V4 was and how I had the fever for it.

He just sneered and said he would never ride an Aprilia. To us it's exotic but to an Italian it's a Piaggio (meaning scooter). He said he wouldn't want to be seen on a scooter company's motorcycle no matter how good it is.

Apparently MV Agusta has much more chache' on the streets in the old country.

Kevin_Duke 05-23-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 275501)
I met this guy at the local Italian bike dealer. He's from Italy and it turns out he lives near me.

He rides an MV Brutale 910. I mentioned I had ridden the Aprilia Tuono and was going on about how awesome the V4 was and how I had the fever for it.

He just sneered and said he would never ride an Aprilia. To us it's exotic but to an Italian it's a Piaggio (meaning scooter). He said he wouldn't want to be seen on a scooter company's motorcycle no matter how good it is.

Apparently MV Agusta has much more chache' on the streets in the old country.

Proof there are snobs all over the world!

Huss 05-23-2012 05:21 PM

" And with Kawasaki’s ZX-10R already named as our Japanese literbike winner this year, the only thing left to do is pit them together for ultimate literbike supremacy in our third and final portion of this test. Stay tuned."

I mentioned this before, but now it has even more relevance seeing that you decided that value separated the 3 Euro bikes.

If the BMW beats the Kawi, which it will as it has in the past, then that means that all the Euro bikes beat the Kawi too.

I'm not knocking your conclusion that the BMW is the best bike, but I am knocking the fact that you use value as a consideration. When enthusiasts read comparo tests, we just want to know what is the best. And then if we are in the market, well, our finances determine how value plays into it!

Otherwise it's like saying a Ford Mustang GT is a better sports car than a 911 Turbo, because all I can afford is the Ford!

p.s. a late model 1199 appeals to me more than the Panigale. Big bore Vtwins are meant to be about grunt...