Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I am knocking the fact that you use value as a consideration. When enthusiasts read comparo tests, we just want to know what is the best. And then if we are in the market, well, our finances determine how value plays into it!

Otherwise it's like saying a Ford Mustang GT is a better sports car than a 911 Turbo, because all I can afford is the Ford!
The comparisons are among bikes that are somewhat near each other in price. The two bikes are $2K apart, $15K versus $17K. That's not such a big spread. There's a much bigger spread between a Mustang GT ($31K) and a 911 Turbo ($137K).

And they did a good job describing bike characteristics. So if someone prefers the Aprilia at $2K more, I'm sure that, based on the characteristics, they'd buy it anyway.

So value as a consideration isn't something I'm knocking.

P.S. I own three bikes, all based on multiple factors, one of which is value.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
The comparisons are among bikes that are somewhat near each other in price. The two bikes are $2K apart, $15K versus $17K. That's not such a big spread. There's a much bigger spread between a Mustang GT ($31K) and a 911 Turbo ($137K).

And they did a good job describing bike characteristics. So if someone prefers the Aprilia at $2K more, I'm sure that, based on the characteristics, they'd buy it anyway.

So value as a consideration isn't something I'm knocking.

P.S. I own three bikes, all based on multiple factors, one of which is value.
Thx for weighing in to explain. Sure, an additional $2K might not be much to some, but it's still a nice set of leathers and a trackday and gas money. And we made it clear that without the Value category, the Aprilia got scored almost equally to the BMW.

And if there was any doubt the RSV4 was a contender, scroll to the bottom of P4 to see our "Last Word" commentary which was mistakenly left our when the article was first published.

Honestly, I could make a good case for each bike, as each offers an unique experience.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Last Word Commentary

I definitely see why in the overall scoring the BMW takes the cake. The personal preference insight in the last word commentary brings a lot to the shootout party. I have always been a fan of Aprilla and would have no problem riding a scooter companies offering. At my age the Tuono would be a better fit for an aging former sport bike guy. Yes value is and always should be a consideration.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Fangit1
Founding Member

Why factor in value for money in this class. Just tell us which one is best damit and we can figure out the value bit ourselves!!!

Also surprised the Duck gets critisized for needing to be revved too much.It has more power than the Aprilia everwhere, more power than the BMW everywhere except above it's rev limit and it weighs the least...?
Fangit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangit1 View Post
Why factor in value for money in this class. Just tell us which one is best damit and we can figure out the value bit ourselves!!!

Also surprised the Duck gets critisized for needing to be revved too much.It has more power than the Aprilia everwhere, more power than the BMW everywhere except above it's rev limit and it weighs the least...?
Ah, if we all could just ride a dyno chart... The Panigale is indeed an odd Duc, feeling really sluggish below 7500 rpm, believe it or not. Tall gearing exacerbates the problem, leading to its worst-in-class roll-on performance. Keeping it in a lower gear and revving high, and it's jumpy throttle response becomes far worse.

At around 8000 rpm, the BMW is making the same power as the Duc is at around 7500, which makes you think it's worse. But the other part of the equation is the size of a usable powerband. Duc: 11K-7.5K= 3500 rpm. BMW: 14K-8K= 6000 rpm, nearly twice as large as the Duc's.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Ah, if we all could just ride a dyno chart... The Panigale is indeed an odd Duc, feeling really sluggish below 7500 rpm, believe it or not. Tall gearing exacerbates the problem, leading to its worst-in-class roll-on performance. Keeping it in a lower gear and revving high, and it's jumpy throttle response becomes far worse.

At around 8000 rpm, the BMW is making the same power as the Duc is at around 7500, which makes you think it's worse. But the other part of the equation is the size of a usable powerband. Duc: 11K-7.5K= 3500 rpm. BMW: 14K-8K= 6000 rpm, nearly twice as large as the Duc's.
Like you said, a fueling update will likely come out. Plus, every Ducati is geared too tall to pass euro drive by noise levels.

I'm not criticizing your conclusions. But those problems are easily fixed. You have to test them as you get them though.

I'm still feverish over the Aprilia but self control is difficult even at 48.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #17
gjw1992
Founding Member

Default Good work

Good review - keep it coming. And what's really fine about these bikes is that they all successfully go their own way to reach that sports bike target. Real choice and different people will pick a different bike for good reasons.
gjw1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw1992 View Post
And what's really fine about these bikes is that they all successfully go their own way to reach that sports bike target. Real choice and different people will pick a different bike for good reasons.
Exactly! Although they compete in the same class, they each have very distinct characters.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Proof there are snobs all over the world!
"Aprilia" is the "Bose Audio" of the Italian Motorcycle World.....

(which is the "Vespa 50" of the Audio World!")
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 05-25-2012 at 12:17 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
conchscooter
Founding Member

Default Headline

Quote: "We tested the 2012 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC, BMW S1000RR and Ducati 1199 Panigale S both on the track, on the street, and on the dyno to see which bike is the top dog in our 2012 European literbike shootout."

The word both is a two way proposition. Sending both three ways reminds me I can't ride as well as you can either on road or on track, but I can pick your dreadful grammar apart.

Have a nice weekend.