Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Isn't that true of almost every bike these days? With fuel injection, you have to have fuel pressure. To get fuel pressure, you have to run a fuel pump. To run a fuel pump, you have to have electricity. To have electricity...well, you get the idea. I guess if everything but the starter motor was working you could bump a bike off, but usually you're doing that 'cause the battery is dead.

I hope someday in the US scooters will overcome their "gay" stigma. I'm willing to be a lot of guys here won't buy one because they're concerned about being perceived as "light in the loafers."
I've had to bump start the Tiger a couple of times. Once when I accidentally left the ignition in the stupid European parking light position all day and again at Mesa Verde where we were riding only short distances between attractions for a few hours. Never could have done it with a scooter. Of course that neat 18AH lithium battery I installed has resolved the weak stock 12AH battery issue.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #12
sliphorn
Registered Member

Spaceman, when I had a Stella 150 2 stroke 4 speed twist shifter that was maxed out with performance parts, all I ever got was big thumbs up from bikers. Even H-D riders loved my scoot.

As you may know, the Stella is an all metal body clone of the Vespa PX 150E. For some reason it's not the type of scoot that is perceived as girlie or gay. The plastic body cvt scoots on the other hand, are, perceived as girlie. Go figure.

I've never much cared what others think of me, so it won't stop me from buying a BV 350. It'll be the perfect garage mate for my 1050 Sprint. Plus, the BV will get me out and about more on two wheels. I love my Sprint but it's a handful for city use.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #13
sliphorn
Registered Member

Seruzawa, which brand lithium battery did you get? Any problems with cold morning starts? I'm thinking of getting one for my Sprint.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliphorn View Post
Spaceman, when I had a Stella 150 2 stroke 4 speed twist shifter that was maxed out with performance parts, all I ever got was big thumbs up from bikers. Even H-D riders loved my scoot.

As you may know, the Stella is an all metal body clone of the Vespa PX 150E. For some reason it's not the type of scoot that is perceived as girlie or gay. The plastic body cvt scoots on the other hand, are, perceived as girlie. Go figure.

I've never much cared what others think of me, so it won't stop me from buying a BV 350. It'll be the perfect garage mate for my 1050 Sprint. Plus, the BV will get me out and about more on two wheels. I love my Sprint but it's a handful for city use.

To be honest, I've just been trying to find a place to use the "light in the loafers" expression.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I hope someday in the US scooters will overcome their "gay" stigma. I'm willing to be a lot of guys here won't buy one because they're concerned about being perceived as "light in the loafers."
I thought you were going with the 'bump start' issue here. Never mind!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliphorn View Post
Seruzawa, which brand lithium battery did you get? Any problems with cold morning starts? I'm thinking of getting one for my Sprint.
I got the Shorai. That 18AH battery I recommend even though it's almost $200. It spins the starter much better than stock. Higher Voltage = longer life for the starter. Nothing worse for a starter than spinning it with a battery that's gone down to 10-11 volts.

The lithium battery tops up more quickly than the lead-acid variety too. Just a short ride brings it back up full where a lead acid battery might take an hour of riding to bring it back up when it gets low. You just have to get used to a smaller battery that weighs less than a pound. Kind of weird.

I've been in L.A. so I can't testify about cold morning starts. But even after letting it sit a couple of weeks it spins much better than the stock battery ever did.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I got the Shorai. That 18AH battery I recommend even though it's almost $200. It spins the starter much better than stock. Higher Voltage = longer life for the starter. Nothing worse for a starter than spinning it with a battery that's gone down to 10-11 volts.

The lithium battery tops up more quickly than the lead-acid variety too. Just a short ride brings it back up full where a lead acid battery might take an hour of riding to bring it back up when it gets low. You just have to get used to a smaller battery that weighs less than a pound. Kind of weird.

I've been in L.A. so I can't testify about cold morning starts. But even after letting it sit a couple of weeks it spins much better than the stock battery ever did.
You??? in L.A???

Hell hath frozen over!

The Prodigal son has returned!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Huss
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
There is one downside to scooters that would make me reluctant to buy one. They are impossible to bump start.
You can bump start manual transmission scooters, like my Vespa PX150 or my recently sold Stella 4T 150. You can still buy those Stellas new.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
You??? in L.A???

Hell hath frozen over!

The Prodigal son has returned!
I'm retired, visiting family and generally stooging around. Back to work you slob!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
You can bump start manual transmission scooters, like my Vespa PX150 or my recently sold Stella 4T 150. You can still buy those Stellas new.
Yes yes, but almost all scooters have snowmobile transmissions now.