Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, I searched stratoliner images and it looks like the vast majority of the owners are retirees. It's reasonable to assume that most of them want a touring bike that you don't have to worry about turning around to pick up parts that fall off all the time.

And when you get to your motel and park next to the Harleys you won't have to worry about the Stratoliner being stolen.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
Matt7even
Registered Member

Well done customizing job. Looks like a sportier Glide and has the muscle to back it up. I'm looking forward to see what Yamaha replaces their aging flagship Royal Star tourer with. If they put that monster of an engine (or perhaps a retuned V-Max mill) in a updated touring chassis I may just have to rethink the Victory CCT as being my next bike.
Matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt7even View Post
. If they put ... a retuned V-Max mill...in a updated touring chassis...
Now THAT would be a cruiser worth looking at. I'm not sure it would need retuning.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You are thinking perhaps of the Yamaha Venture Royale of the early '80's????

You know, back when Yamaha excersized a little innovation and styling of their own instead of the current crop of retro spin-offs. Those were and remain to this day comfy fast and reliable Sport Tourers, it'd be nice to see an updated version ala' the Connie 14

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
Huss
Founding Member

Default Buffetting

"If you’re the lucky winner of this machine and about my size, opt for a taller windscreen — at 70 mph the buffeting around my head was enough to blur my vision."

Akshully the buffetting is coming from the 'dirty' air passing under the fairing and into the rider area. Putting on a bigger shield will not help.
If Yam closed the gap between the fairing lowers and the leg plastics, then the buffetting would go away.

This is why the full dress Harleys do not buffet, as their leg plastics coverage extends to the fairing lowers on the Eglides.
The StreetGlide, which does not have the fairing lowers, knocks your head like it's being used for boxing practice.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
Huss
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
31K into this bike and it probably has a market value of less than half that.
Serious question...
This bike is going to be given away as a prize.
How is Yamaha going to value this? If they are going to claim it is worth $31K plus, the 'winner' would be hosed as they have to pay about 50% of the prize value in tax.
And the real value on the used market of this bike is about $15K.

So the winner may have to pay more for it in taxes than he could buy it used! Which it already is.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Serious question...
This bike is going to be given away as a prize.
How is Yamaha going to value this? If they are going to claim it is worth $31K plus, the 'winner' would be hosed as they have to pay about 50% of the prize value in tax.
And the real value on the used market of this bike is about $15K.

So the winner may have to pay more for it in taxes than he could buy it used! Which it already is.
Excellent point! Funny thing is, when I got married 17 years ago, we won Bride Magazine's grand prize. It was a potential tax nightmare as the "value" assigned to all the stuff was the fullest of full retail. We declined a lot of things and they said "all or nothing" so we said "nothing". They finally relented and we selected a few things we wanted and refused the rest

If Star insists on valuing the bike for what is "invested" in it, one very well may not want to win this "prize".
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote