Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 1
Default 2012 650 Adventure-Tourer Shootout - Video


Original Article:
2012 650 Adventure-Tourer Shootout - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 650 Adventure-Tourer Shootout - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
bbtowns
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 540
Default

That 17" front wheel on the Versys really doesn't work well off road, but as you said, clearly the GS is the off roader of the group you chose. I've ridden a V-Strom (1000) in several AMA National dual sport events, single track, and the 2006 Alcan 5000. It can do 550 miles of dirt in a day, but requires an aftermarket skid plate before considering any of this (crash bars help too!). I've put a lot of miles on a Versys, it is a better twisty road bike than the Strom, but only by a hair. Good write up guys!
__________________
What kind of man can abandon his family like that?
Seriously, who is he, I'd like lessons.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
jmdonald
Founding Member
 
jmdonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 1,291
Default Manganese

Manganese. Some people don't even know what that is. Just like "communicative, confident feedback." Below 10 Grand for an all arounder like the Vstrom with ABS sure is tempting. Great choices for the review. MO excels at all things. Keep up the good work.
__________________
Secede.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Beer Baron
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 24
Default

One of the best comparison articles I've read on your site. Great job and excellent photography. The video was okay too.

I went to Bike Week excited to try the new VStrom. I really wanted to like the bike because on paper it was exactly what I was looking for. It just didn't tick the right boxes for me. The Versys on the other hand was a much better overall riding experience. I guess I like the more street focused design better. Having said that my perfect bike would be a Versys with the VStrom motor and instrument cluster.
__________________
Dan

1984 Honda Nighthawk cb650sc
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

The guys on Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums who have gone from the original 650 to the new one are raving about the improvements. In particular the motor seems to be more powerful and much smoother shifting.

One thing that's really funny is all the kerfuffle about what to call it. The '12 guys want to differentiate their bike from the "old" Wee. There was a huge thread and reader poll on the topic, and because the motor is from the Gladius, the consensus is to call it the "Glee Strom." You can imagine my horror and shame. I'm calling it the "G-Strom," not to be confused with "G-String."

Great writeup, a perfect selection of competing models. The only thing missing was a big wheelie on the VStrom!
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."

Last edited by The Spaceman : 04-20-2012 at 08:21 AM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Nice review, I had a 650 GS as a service loaner while my 1200 GS was getting it's 12k workover last fall. Though the bike was physically small for me I enjoyed riding it well enough. Since I don't have anything to compare it too I can't say how it felt power wise though I didn't find it lacking in any way. My over all impression was that it was a decent enough bike and for someone smaller than me would probably work just fine.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post
One of the best comparison articles I've read on your site. Great job and excellent photography. The video was okay too.

I went to Bike Week excited to try the new VStrom. I really wanted to like the bike because on paper it was exactly what I was looking for. It just didn't tick the right boxes for me. The Versys on the other hand was a much better overall riding experience. I guess I like the more street focused design better. Having said that my perfect bike would be a Versys with the VStrom motor and instrument cluster.
Glad you liked it, BB! If your perfect hybrid is a Versys with a 'Strom motor, I bet you could find screamin' deals on a non-current Gladius. That's a fun bike that sold horribly. Fits shorter people best.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
The guys on Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums who have gone from the original 650 to the new one are raving about the improvements. In particular the motor seems to be more powerful and much smoother shifting.

One thing that's really funny is all the kerfuffle about what to call it. The '12 guys want to differentiate their bike from the "old" Wee. There was a huge thread and reader poll on the topic, and because the motor is from the Gladius, the consensus is to call it the "Glee Strom." You can imagine my horror and shame. I'm calling it the "G-Strom," not to be confused with "G-String."

Great writeup, a perfect selection of competing models. The only thing missing was a big wheelie on the VStrom!
The "Glee Strom"!

Sorry I wasn't on that photo shoot to give you your required dose of wheelies!
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Beer Baron
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Glad you liked it, BB! If your perfect hybrid is a Versys with a 'Strom motor, I bet you could find screamin' deals on a non-current Gladius. That's a fun bike that sold horribly. Fits shorter people best.
Thanks for the tip Kevin. I had forgotten all about the Gladius. I'll check them out if I can find any around here.
__________________
Dan

1984 Honda Nighthawk cb650sc
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

There's no reason that someone couldn't travel around the world on a Wee-Strom. If that guy and his wife could make it from Nome, AL to Tierra del Fuego on a 600cc BMW R69 back in 1965 there's no reason that one of these 650s couldn't do it today.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off