Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Traction Control Explained (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20198-traction-control-explained.html)

Administrator 04-16-2012 12:26 PM

Traction Control Explained

Original Article:
Traction Control Explained

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Traction Control Explained in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

SeanAlexander 04-16-2012 02:11 PM

Xaus???

How ironic that you would use a photo of Reuben Xaus as an example of someone who doesn't need traction control... XAUS the very rider that set the standard for crashing-his-brains-out, repeatedly, on the world stage.

Kevin_Duke 04-16-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanAlexander (Post 274555)
How ironic that you would use a photo of Reuben Xaus as an example of someone who doesn't need traction control... XAUS the very rider that set the standard for crashing-his-brains-out, repeatedly, on the world stage.

Well, despite his reputation, we presume Xaus has more talent than those of us without world championships on their C.V.s!

The_AirHawk 04-16-2012 03:18 PM

Dirty! How's Moto-Land been treatin' ya'?

While we're on the subject of Xaus - that photo I had on my desktop @ work for near a year - up 'til I replaced it with a photo of me doing a 4-wheel drift in the Bullitt @ a ProSolo at the Airbase in Blytheville (and then later one of me in the Hyundai as it "emerged" from a huge cloud of dust after a handbrake pin-turn @ the RallyX Nationals in Tulsa).

(yeah, I like to slide - but I don't have the Skilzorz of Xaus on a moto - or even probably Sean or the Dukester: I have to use "training wheels" for all my sideways shenanigans)

I even had one for awhile of Sean on a then-new ZX-14 draggin' hard parts on the high-bank oval @ Daytona (IIRC).

jmdonald 04-17-2012 06:02 AM

Formula 1

I think it was Phil Hill who said that once Formula 1 cars got better brakes it was a lot harder to pass once someone got in the lead. He felt it took away from the excitement of the race. I see this technology adding to the Moto races not to mention the average Joe's survival out on the street. Very interesting to see all the data points and fixes within the different systems. These technologies add to the moto experience and I welcome them. Nice write up.

The Spaceman 04-17-2012 06:27 AM

A very enlightening article. I'd picked up some info on T/C from various sources; this is the first comprehensive look at T/C I've read. However, it raises almost as many questions as it answers:

Is launch control available?

What types of processors are used, how fast are they, and how greatly do they differentiate the systems capabilities?

Is there a common data bus for all the sensors that integrates with the ECU's data bus?

Do they to redesign existing systems like EFI and ABS to work with T/C, or do they just patch it in?

Can the systems be re-flashed in the field, i.e. upgraded, or is what you got what you get? Can they be "hacked?"

What is the liability exposure with these systems if they fail or have a bug?

What will Mr. Duke do for photo opportunties if wheelie control becomes ubiquitous?

sarnali2 04-17-2012 08:06 AM

Pffft traction control! what you need is throttle control and good ol' Road Holdin' Weight. Save all that Racer X crap for the track, you'll live longer.

supecoop 04-17-2012 01:42 PM

Great writeup. The guys who do have the requisite skills test TC limits at World Superbike races - and even they crash sometimes. Since most of these bikes are ridden on the street a lot of the time, I wonder whether TC will prevent typical traffic accidents. Does it encourage street riders to avoid chopping the throttle when leaned over, or does it just give them false confidence to go faster and crash harder? TC might actually increase the need for training. Nothing is idiot proof.

The_AirHawk 04-17-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supecoop (Post 274597)
Since most of these bikes are ridden on the street a lot of the time, I wonder whether TC will prevent typical traffic accidents.

I hate to say, that I doubt it. The "typical" moto traffic-crash involves an oncoming-automobile, alcohol, or some combination of those. Neither of which can be helped much with TC.

pushrod 04-18-2012 09:21 AM

Good to see you still hangin' 'round, Dirty!

I see little 'bang-for-the-buck' in this technology for the street rider.

However, I will admit it would come in handy around here when one tries to accelerate around a corner that turns out to be sandy.