Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I rate Vettel very highly, but he's not doing so hot this year since they banned Newey's blown diffusers. As a consequence, the last race was one of the most exciting F1 races I've seen in a long time.
And there's the new Ferrari car, Mercedes is making waves...it should be an exciting year.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #22
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke
I welcome these technologies, too, but I'd like to keep them off all top-level racing machines - they take away from all the things a rider/driver can influence, and I want to see racers race, not engineers.

I'm surprise that we are in agreeance with this point of view Kevin. And even though as mentioned the technicians and engineers play a roll they have NEVER had this much control of when the rider wants the power to come on. That's just way too much intrusiveness for my blood.

My main problem with TC is the fact that you dont learn how to react to the bike and what needs to be done when a slide happens. The rider never learns the fine balance required between sencing when the tire breaks lose and what to do with the throttle.

Even the easiest lesson of not chopping the throttle is lost. The new riders will have much less experience in the future imo. And besides that you get people who think these upgrades are invented to save the normal street rider from himself when infact they are to help a racer go faster with less crashing. Just my two for whatever it's worth.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #23
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Oh and awesome article!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #24
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke
I welcome these technologies, too, but I'd like to keep them off all top-level racing machines - they take away from all the things a rider/driver can influence, and I want to see racers race, not engineers.

I'm surprise that we are in agreeance with this point of view Kevin. And even though as mentioned the technicians and engineers play a roll they have NEVER had this much control of when the rider wants the power to come on. That's just way too much intrusiveness for my blood.

My main problem with TC is the fact that you dont learn how to react to the bike and what needs to be done when a slide happens. The rider never learns the fine balance required between sencing when the tire breaks lose and what to do with the throttle.

Even the easiest lesson of not chopping the throttle is lost. The new riders will have much less experience in the future imo. And besides that you get people who think these upgrades are invented to save the normal street rider from himself when infact they are to help a racer go faster with less crashing. Just my two for whatever it's worth.
Yep, we're mostly in agreement! However, I don't believe using TC is such an impediment to sensing loss of traction. Whatever TC brings to safety, it's not like it results in an uncrashable motorcycle. And, depending on the TC settings, there is still plenty of sliding at the rear going on that a rider can feel.

As a side note, the TV coverage of the AMA Superbike races noted that Josh Hayes is finally using TC this year, while Roger Hayden has his turned off, supposedly to give him stronger drives off corners. TC isn't a be-all, end-all...
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #25
MOKE1K
Registered Member

You know Kevin I need to borrow one of these babies next time Im at the track. The parking lot at the dealer just doesnt give you enough feedback....
Old 04-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #26
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
You know Kevin I need to borrow one of these babies next time Im at the track. The parking lot at the dealer just doesnt give you enough feedback....
Highly recommended!