Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Beer Baron
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Several people I spoke to at Bike Week that rode it said it was a real dud.
I don't think that was possible. Honda wasn't doing demo rides at Bike Week.

I did get to sit on it though.

One nice surprise to me was the high quality fit and finish of the bike. All the photos I've seen led me to believe that it was cheap and plasticy. The other big surprise will be to non-scooter riders, the motor lays flat like a big maxi-scoot and the weight is really low.

However Spaceman I have read reviews that make that claim that the bike is so-so power-wise. From what I've read it takes a lot to get used to the low rpm redline and that it feels like you are short shifting. I would still like to read a comparison though, I think people looking at the Versys would consider this new Honda.

1984 Honda Nighthawk cb650sc
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Sounds a bit like you threw out the baby with the bath water. The fairly simple addition of a taller seat would effectively expand legroom for taller riders.
I add taller seats to bikes already with room, the 1" kawi seat wont make much diff on this bike. The corbin is lower (one reason I can never buy corbin, for my k12 it lost almost 3 inches by eliminating the high setting and then trimming more padding out). Sargent doesn't make one since the seat pan is really funky. Another manufacturer was lower as well. Then trying to picture an already funky bike with a Russell day long is too much for my eyes to bare.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
I add taller seats to bikes already with room, the 1" kawi seat wont make much diff on this bike. The corbin is lower (one reason I can never buy corbin, for my k12 it lost almost 3 inches by eliminating the high setting and then trimming more padding out). Sargent doesn't make one since the seat pan is really funky. Another manufacturer was lower as well. Then trying to picture an already funky bike with a Russell day long is too much for my eyes to bare.
But it is easier to attach hard bags than to an RC8...
Old 04-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
But it is easier to attach hard bags than to an RC8...
RC8RT?

I just tried one on while I was at the local dealer and was amazed how comfy the RC8 was for a sport bike. I was looking for an SMT to try on but they cant keep them in stock. A slightly used Tiger for 9k really caught my eye on the show room floor (money for ohlins), would love a mulit S touring but the electro wizardry has me scared off, well that and the price tag. The few guys I know with them love the bike to death, when its not in for a recall or something else.

The SMT looks like a nice semi analog version of the Multi, fuel injection and abs is fine, but I really like a key. The Versys is a 3/4 scale version of all the above, so too small for me.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
The SMT looks like a nice semi analog version of the Multi, fuel injection and abs is fine, but I really like a key. The Versys is a 3/4 scale version of all the above, so too small for me.
Well said. I presume the SMT is like a cut-rate Multi, but KTM still hasn't got one for us...
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
flying_hun
Founding Member

Quote:
The Versys is a 3/4 scale version of all the above, so too small for me.
FWIW, I'm 6'3" and 260#'s and the Versys fits me okay, including for two-up. The only bike I can think of that I've owned that is roomier is my Hypermotard. The MTS is slightly roomier too. The Versys could use a little more legroom. Some folks lower the pegs, but I haven't bothered. I've heard that the replacement seat kit from Seat Concepts has the option for a taller version.
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
FWIW, I'm 6'3" and 260#'s and the Versys fits me okay, including for two-up. The only bike I can think of that I've owned that is roomier is my Hypermotard. The MTS is slightly roomier too. The Versys could use a little more legroom. Some folks lower the pegs, but I haven't bothered. I've heard that the replacement seat kit from Seat Concepts has the option for a taller version.
12er is sized in the "OH MY GOD IT'S COMING THIS WAY!" range. Most bikes that "average" people claim to be a "little-bit tight", he can wear for inline-skates....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
Thanks for weighing in on this. And, yep, Seat Concepts has a saddle option for the Versys: Seat Concepts - Products
Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Beer Baron
Registered Member

Are there hard cases available for the Versys that aren't ridiculously wide?

1984 Honda Nighthawk cb650sc
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #20
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post
Are there hard cases available for the Versys that aren't ridiculously wide?

Twisted Throttle has these bags that will fit the Versys:

Bags-Connection Aero ABS Sidecase system - BC.HTA.00.675.1000 : TwistedThrottle.com

They're "semi-rigid;" they are plastic-backed nylon that will hold their shape but are fairly flexible. Width is 9" at their widest point.

9" semi-rigid. There's an accessory you really can't beat!