Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Not that I need it more power from one of these, but I think you guys are dead on picking the Kaw. It is easy to have ECU Unleased "fix" the EPA mandated fueling and advance issues and of course add a pipe. Post these simple mods, which anyone enthusiastic enough to buy one of these no doubt will do anyway, you have a really awe inspiring bike with an excellent factory TC system already in place. No doubt Suzuki will come out with TC in the next iteration of GSXR.

Yamaha liter class bikes have had comparatively weak middle RPM power for awhile now. Tuning can greatly benefit this, but it takes more than a slip on and a fueling adjustment. Yam really does need to ditch the underseat exhaust too. That is an outdated design idea from the past.

The bottom line is when you ride one of these on the street, you want effortless midrange thrust. Honda and Suzuki get it. No doubt the Kaw will deliver that too in spades with the usual mods.

I guess I would choose the Kaw, wishing all the while that the Yam had the Suzuki or even Honda's power curve and an exhaust that would not roast my butt.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Yeah not to mention the boiling of the oil in the rear shock on the R1.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
It is interesting how in the mfg release/intro tests of the CBR1000RR it was stated that it was so good no traction control etc was needed.
By pretty much every moto mag I read.
And yet when it is tested against its competitors, that does not seem to be the case.
I could understand this, maybe, if no-one had yet ridden the ZX10R, but seeing that it has been around for a year now, and then won this comparo, well, how sauced did Honda get you guys?
In defense of Troy, he's really not much of a drinker, so I don't think the bar bill had any effect on his CBR impressions.

But you have to understand that TC has changed the sportbike paradigm. We have years of experience riding hundreds of bikes that never had TC, so we're (mostly!) capable of riding high-powered motorcycles without it. We're still accustomed to a world in which power delivered smoothly yet responsively was as good as it got.

When TC started arriving a few years ago, it was worthy technology that was still kind of a novelty. But now, with half the Jap liters with excellent systems, it provides a stark contrast to the ones that don't. And since they're priced almost identically, it was impossible to overlook the value added to the equation. While we still don't think a non-TC bike is undesirable, the addition of TC to bikes that would still be terrific without it give them a clear leg up on their non-TC rivals.

Non-TC differences in this class amount to a few pounds or a few horsepower or a few millimeters here and there. Adding a finely developed TC system at no extra cost is a significant bonus. But, even still, the addition of TC to the R1 wasn't enough for it to overcome its other limitations when our scores were added up.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I guess I would choose the Kaw, wishing all the while that the Yam had the Suzuki or even Honda's power curve and an exhaust that would not roast my butt.
That's about exactly how I feel! And, yes, I'll guarantee the next Gixxer and CBR will have TC.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
Huss
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
In defense of Troy, he's really not much of a drinker, so I don't think the bar bill had any effect on his CBR impressions.

But you have to understand that TC has changed the sportbike paradigm.
My point exactly. TC is a huge move forward, as seen on bikes like the 1198, S1000RR, RSV4, ZX10.
Bikes that already had it before the latest CBR was released.

So when journos wrote the CBR didn't need it, well, that really comes over as not wanting to upset the press junket band wagon.

2012 CBR1000RRs are collecting dust at my local dealerships, while the Euro shops have no problem selling their TC bikes. Honda has a problem with the CBR pricing. It cannot be the same as the ZX10, because it offers so much less. But if they make it cheaper than the ZX10, it's an admission that it offers so much less...

Last edited by Huss : 04-10-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Korrect my shpelling mishtakes
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
That's about exactly how I feel! And, yes, I'll guarantee the next Gixxer and CBR will have TC.
Horsepower and torque have become virtually irrelevant in this class of bike. The features that will differentiate them, and define their ability to compete both on and off the track, will be software and electronics. Honda and Suzuki MUST have TC to stay in the game; it's not optional anymore when HP is approaching 200.

Even the amazing ZX-14R is cool primarily because the electronics make it fun, not scary, to ride.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Wink Loved this line

like having friend sex with an ex-girlfriend,"
Old 04-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Default This one is pretty good too

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
like having friend sex with an ex-girlfriend,"
"boiling of the oil in the rear shock on the R1"

I get a mental image of a bunch of Medevial guys at the ramparts ready to deep-fry the invaders below.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #19
EXUP_1
Founding Member

Excellent review which helped sway my decision to purchase a GSX-R1000 last Friday after sitting on the fence undecided for about a month. Got the bike for $1,300 under MSRP with no fees (just tax and tag).
Much has been made about the narrowing gap between the prices of Japanese and European sport bikes. But the real world difference may be greater than it first appears. Especially in this current economy, anyone with a modicum of negotiating skills should be able to get a pretty good deal on a Japanese bike.
With many more dealerships among the Big 4, it's easier to shop around for a deal compared to a dealership that features European brands and likely doesn't have to compete with a direct competitor in a nearby town for your business.
BMW's S1000RR retails for $15,050 for the standard model. Out of curiosity I'm gonna visit my nearest Beemer dealership and find out what the actual OTD cost of the bike is to see how it stacks up against the Japanese in a price-per-performance face-off. Might then do the same experiment with a Ducati or Aprilia (and maybe I'll get hired to do a story about it.)
For some, all this doesn't matter, though. They're willing to pay more for the exclusivity, arguably superior performance and more personal touch/amenities that a high-end dealer promises to deliver.
P.S. - If you can live without T/C and live within a reasonable distance, Southern Honda of Chattanooga, TN has the 2012 CBR1000RR priced @ $10,997 without any haggling and they don't charge padded fees.

Last edited by EXUP_1 : 04-10-2012 at 04:41 PM.
EXUP_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXUP_1 View Post
Excellent review which helped sway my decision to purchase a GSX-R1000 last Friday after sitting on the fence undecided for about a month. Got the bike for $1,300 under MSRP with no fees (just tax and tag).

BMW's S1000RR retails for $15,050 for the standard model. Out of curiosity I'm gonna visit my nearest Beemer dealership and find out what the actual OTD cost of the bike is to see how it stacks up against the Japanese in a price-per-performance face-off. Might then do the same experiment with a Ducati or Aprilia (and maybe I'll get hired to do a story about it.)
Glad the review was appreciated, and nice to hear you got a sweet deal. I'd be interested in hearing what you learn about OTD prices of other bikes. The fee is low (really, really low), but the fame will be worth it!