Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Honda Rebel Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20163-2012-honda-rebel-review.html)

Administrator 03-29-2012 12:51 PM

2012 Honda Rebel Review

Original Article:
2012 Honda Rebel Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Honda Rebel Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The_AirHawk 03-29-2012 03:59 PM

There was a guy at a place I used to work - had one of these polished and chromed to the max, the frame was custom-worked for a little more rake, (and the welds smoothed-off, etc), had the frame and tank painted a canary-yellow, custom leather seat, etc. - then went and put "Harley Davidson" badges on the tank and custom bar-and-shield stitched on the seatcover. Work was immaculate, he absolutely LOVED that bike.

To my knowledge, he was never hassled over it (the H-D logos).

Lucky him.

seruzawa 03-29-2012 06:17 PM

Interesting. The Honda 250 Hawk of the 60s would top 80mph. And it was fairly smooth (and the engine was like a Swiss watch). Such is "progress".

trenttheuncatchable 03-30-2012 05:23 AM

The Nighthawk 250 is a better "beginner's bike", since it's a standard. It's much less cramped than the Rebel. Too bad they stopped selling it past 2008. But since the CBR 250 is now available, which Honda 250cc bike to buy should be a no-brainer.

And which proof-reader didn't catch mistakes like "solider"?

sarnali2 03-30-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 274242)
Interesting. The Honda 250 Hawk of the 60s would top 80mph. And it was fairly smooth (and the engine was like a Swiss watch). Such is "progress".

Is that the same engine they used in the CL series 160/250/305 etc? that was an excellent motor.

jmdonald 03-30-2012 08:44 AM

Would have had one

If this bike had been available when I was a teenager I would most likely have had one. My first bike road bike was a cl175. My first five bikes were Hondas.

Auphliam 03-30-2012 09:05 AM

These are actually great little bikes. We had a young lady friend living with us for a bit while house hunting. She rode that thing to hell 'n back. She even took a road trip with us one summer. Turnpike miles wrung it (and her) out pretty good, but the 2 lane travel was a breeze. I think more manufacturers should provide entry level bikes like this.

MOwings 03-30-2012 12:40 PM

Kawasaki needs to bring back the 250 Eliminator

I am in the process of putting some TLC in to an 88 Kawasaki 250 Eliminator I got a few months ago. That little bike rips for a 250. I have also had several 250 ninjas and this is definitely torquier. It will do freeway speeds all day. My girlfriend is only 5 foot 1 so this will be her first bike and should make a great one. I am 5 foot 7 and can barely squeeze into it so I know what your saying about the Rebels ergos :) The Rebel is way overpriced for what it is but will do to learn the ropes. We need more small bikes that are up to date that "little" people can fit on for sure :)

Kevin_Duke 03-30-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable (Post 274244)
The Nighthawk 250 is a better "beginner's bike", since it's a standard. It's much less cramped than the Rebel. Too bad they stopped selling it past 2008. But since the CBR 250 is now available, which Honda 250cc bike to buy should be a no-brainer.

And which proof-reader didn't catch mistakes like "solider"?

All of them! Edit in the works - thx!

Huss 03-30-2012 04:54 PM

While this bike is 'nice' it is waaay over priced.
How can this be $4200? As pointed out, Honda's all new CBR is cheaper and offers so much more.
The tooling for the Rebel was paid off, what, in 1990?
This bike should be about $2999.

Another mfg guilty of the same thing is Yamaha with the TW200.
That bike is $4500! And it's been made for 25 years now, basically unchanged.
I actually want one of those but all the used ones I've seen are hurtin', and no way am I going to be a $ucker and drop that coin on a new one.