Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #31
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I'm sorry, but I must be gettin' old. I'm like "Literbikes? Meh. Where the hell am I gonna use all that power?" I can't use everything my 48hp HawkGT can put out, let-alone the roughly twice that of my FZ-6.

If this test had caught me about my mid-teens, now THEN you'd seen me slobberin' all-over the monitor, Yo!

teh editz:

And the first one of you that shouts "High thee to a Trackday!", I'm gonna put my foot in your arse up to mid-calf. I haven't got the TIME or the MONEY for yet-another Racing-Addiction: I am hip-deep in Autocross, and about to become chest-deep in Rallycross and Performance Stage Rallying......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 03-22-2012 at 03:39 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #32
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Nice test.

Aprilia is the clear winner here. People have been whining for years now to the affect of "why can't mfgs just put taller bars on their superbikes?"
Aprilia has stepped up and done this. 156rwhp w/ a great chassis and awesome electronics. And yet two testers pick the Triumph because it is easier to use on public roads?
Of course it is! It is softer! And weaker! Why not throw in the Honda CB1000R with its 105 hp and then just say that's the winner because it is easier to deal with on the street?!
Nah, we already tried that in last year's shootout: 2011 Literbike Streetfighter Shootout

Last edited by Administrator : 03-23-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #33
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I'm sorry, but I must be gettin' old. I'm like "Literbikes? Meh. Where the hell am I gonna use all that power?" I can't use everything my 48hp HawkGT can put out, let-alone the roughly twice that of my FZ-6.

If this test had caught me about my mid-teens, now THEN you'd seen me slobberin' all-over the monitor, Yo!

teh editz:

And the first one of you that shouts "High thee to a Trackday!", I'm gonna put my foot in your arse up to mid-calf. I haven't got the TIME or the MONEY for yet-another Racing-Addiction: I am hip-deep in Autocross, and about to become chest-deep in Rallycross and Performance Stage Rallying......
It costs just $125 and a roll of tape to join a Motoyard trackday...
Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #34
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
If it said "Quattrovalvole Radiale" the price would be $2000 higher.
The other side says Livello Liquido. Back in the day I almost had Sean convinced that was Giacomo Agostini's mechanic.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

All three of these bikes are attractive and really stupid fast. The extra few horsepower of the Aprilia is more a bragging point than anything 99.9% of riders would be able to use or even really notice. Just get the one that grabs you. It's hard to go wrong, until you need parts or service at which time the Aprilia and MV become really poor choices.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #36
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Liter class bikes rock.

True, one "can't use all the power" but one can regularly ply the effortless wave of midrange thrust while sporting along nicely, and every once in awhile, in the remote places when law and easily offended citizenry's eyes are averted, when the only witnesses are horses and cows, let the beast out of the cage in full. It is life affirming to have such power in a world that does it's best to strip us ordinary guys of power. It is a metaphor and a soul feeding fix to wind that thing up into the big numbers once in awhile.

That is my story. I am a literbike-a-holic, looking for places to slip in a quick fix
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #37
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
All three of these bikes are attractive and really stupid fast. The extra few horsepower of the Aprilia is more a bragging point than anything 99.9% of riders would be able to use or even really notice.
I might have agreed with you before I rode the new ZX-14R. There is power, and there is usable power. On the ZX, 190 hp just works...traction control or whatever it is, it never felt like it was too much or in any way uncontrollable.

Of course, keeping your driver's license is another issue.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I might have agreed with you before I rode the new ZX-14R. There is power, and there is usable power. On the ZX, 190 hp just works...traction control or whatever it is, it never felt like it was too much or in any way uncontrollable.

Of course, keeping your driver's license is another issue.
Ha! Those bikes are the worst. The power is so smooth and seamless that you look down and see you are doing 100+ effortlessly without realizing it. Unfortunately the cops don't do "effortless".

Turn the wick on an S3 and you are rudely reminded of the power output. A bit of a safety factor in a strange way. The Tiger on the other hand is so smooth I frequently have to make sure I'm not doing 90 where it's inadvisable.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #39
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Liter class bikes rock.

True, one "can't use all the power" but one can regularly ply the effortless wave of midrange thrust while sporting along nicely, and every once in awhile, in the remote places when law and easily offended citizenry's eyes are averted, when the only witnesses are horses and cows, let the beast out of the cage in full. It is life affirming to have such power in a world that does it's best to strip us ordinary guys of power. It is a metaphor and a soul feeding fix to wind that thing up into the big numbers once in awhile.

That is my story. I am a literbike-a-holic, looking for places to slip in a quick fix
Well said!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #40
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I guess with age comes wisdom, I find the 110 or so ponies my GS puts out to be plenty for getting my ya ya's out. Honestly around here there just aren't that many roads where you can really stretch a bike unless you go to Eastern Wa. On this side of the hills it's mostly sweepers and compact twisties where torque is your friend and forest critters wandering around to keep you awake, high horsepower and 100 plus mph is just going to get you in over your head, but hey don't let me spoil your fun..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote