Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Yamaha WR450F Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20138-2012-yamaha-wr450f-review.html)

Administrator 03-15-2012 06:57 PM

2012 Yamaha WR450F Review

Original Article:
2012 Yamaha WR450F Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Yamaha WR450F Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Duken4evr 03-16-2012 02:26 PM

Really nice article guys - very detailed. I like that it mentions the typical "experienced intermediate" (definitely me) customer base, the WR line's legendary reliability too. KTM is cool and all (I own a late model Husaberg, which is in effect a blue KTM) but they definitely are not unbreakably reliable bikes like the WR is. Ya, the WR is a bit heavier than KTM, but look at the radiators on the WR. The KTM rads are literally half that size.

This is an interesting bike. Sharper handling than before, the FI is addressable too. Two things that it lacks stand out for serious trail riders though - a 6th gear and more fuel capacity.

I have ridden a lot of WRs over the years, they are stout bikes, but tend to handle a bit like a school bus. Would love to spend a day on the new WR to experience the new chassis. Sounds much better!

Kevin_Duke 03-16-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 273935)
Really nice article guys - very detailed. I like that it mentions the typical "experienced intermediate" (definitely me) customer base, the WR line's legendary reliability too. KTM is cool and all (I own a late model Husaberg, which is in effect a blue KTM) but they definitely are not unbreakably reliable bikes like the WR is. Ya, the WR is a bit heavier than KTM, but look at the radiators on the WR. The KTM rads are literally half that size.

This is an interesting bike. Sharper handling than before, the FI is addressable too. Two things that it lacks stand out for serious trail riders though - a 6th gear and more fuel capacity.

I have ridden a lot of WRs over the years, they are stout bikes, but tend to handle a bit like a school bus. Would love to spend a day on the new WR to experience the new chassis. Sounds much better!

Glad you appreciate a test of a dirt bike. Any others...?

Duken4evr 03-19-2012 12:39 PM

Guess not. I don't know why either, dirt bike rock.

Just got my buddy off a CRF230 and onto a WR250. He loves his WR. Rides it pretty well too for the first time out on it. Video from last weekend. My end of video wheelies are almost worthy of MO :D

Riding With Bob - YouTube

Buzglyd 03-19-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 273937)
Glad you appreciate a test of a dirt bike. Any others...?

I enjoy any type of test but I won't be getting back into the dirt.

I could see a dual sport some day for puttering around some slow trails but no triples for me thanks.

Duken4evr 03-19-2012 01:28 PM

No triples for me either - that is supercross / motocross. I am an off road cross country guy. A little air time here and there, but like to keep at least one wheel on the ground, generally.

The hare scrambles / enduro oriented WR that is the subject of the test looks to be a very good cross country ride. Have ridden a unmodified 450cc MX bike on the woods. They don't work there - too aggressive - hard to not spurt into every tree in range when on one of those and the suspension tends to deflect off every rock. More is not always better.

The off road 450s are a joy to ride. Lots of power to be sure, but it is controllable power. Able to smoothly pick through a rock field one moment and punt the rider forward very quickly on smoother ground the next. The suspension is plush and sucks up chop, but it is not soft or weak. It just works in the trail riding environment. A good 450 feeds the soul :)

Kevin_Duke 03-19-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 273972)
Guess not. I don't know why either, dirt bike rock.

Just got my buddy off a CRF230 and onto a WR250. He loves his WR. Rides it pretty well too for the first time out on it. Video from last weekend. My end of video wheelies are almost worthy of MO :D

Riding With Bob - YouTube

Looks like so much fun! I miss the dirt...

The_AirHawk 03-20-2012 11:12 AM

I liked the review, Dukester.

I don't have much to say on "dirtbikes", but I like it when MO tests and reports on them.

I am not wholly-unfamiliar with sliding about in the dirt, it's just that my skilzorz require an additional pair of wheels.

seruzawa 03-20-2012 05:31 PM

Is the WR a bit heavy because it has a motor that will go many many hours without self-destructing?

Duken4evr 03-21-2012 07:22 AM

Perhaps. I just think they are very well designed too. They have big radiators to control heat, carry enough oil, stuff like that. The 5 valve design holds it's tolerances very well too.

Warning. Politically incorrect stereotype statement follows. It is offensive, probably because there is a grain of truth in it. Warning :lol:

In stark contrast to the clinically serious, detailed and obsessive KTM rider who agonizes over every detail, including the micron rating of the aftermarket billet aluminum add on fuel filter (I am not kidding, guilty as charged with my Husaberg, 10 micron by the way) the stereotypical WR 450 rider sports a mullet, guzzles beer and is randomly hit or miss about doing maintenance on his dirt bike. Perhaps Yamaha designed the big WR to stand up to the "care" provided by this audience.

In any case, the WR series (both 250 and 450) has proven over the years to be the most bulletproof dirt bikes on the planet.