Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Perhaps. I just think they are very well designed too. They have big radiators to control heat, carry enough oil, stuff like that. The 5 valve design holds it's tolerances very well too.

Warning. Politically incorrect stereotype statement follows. It is offensive, probably because there is a grain of truth in it. Warning

In stark contrast to the clinically serious, detailed and obsessive KTM rider who agonizes over every detail, including the micron rating of the aftermarket billet aluminum add on fuel filter (I am not kidding, guilty as charged with my Husaberg, 10 micron by the way) the stereotypical WR 450 rider sports a mullet, guzzles beer and is randomly hit or miss about doing maintenance on his dirt bike. Perhaps Yamaha designed the big WR to stand up to the "care" provided by this audience.

In any case, the WR series (both 250 and 450) has proven over the years to be the most bulletproof dirt bikes on the planet.
The issue with the self-destructing MX four strokes hasn't gone away. You have people finding CR500 motors and putting them in the new frames. 20-30 hours between rebuilds that cost several thousand dollars are unacceptable. Heck, one of the MXers requires the piston pin clips to be changed every 10 hours last I saw.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The issue with the self-destructing MX four strokes hasn't gone away. You have people finding CR500 motors and putting them in the new frames. 20-30 hours between rebuilds that cost several thousand dollars are unacceptable. Heck, one of the MXers requires the piston pin clips to be changed every 10 hours last I saw.
By contrast, my formerly mullet wearing friend's '03 WR 450 has been subjected to hell. It probably has 10,000 off road miles on it and it looks like it was hit with repeated shotgun blasts. He does take meticulous care of the oil and air filter servicing, but the valves have not moved since initial bed in and the top end has never been off.

The Yam MX bikes do seem to be the most durable of the MX set too. Agree about the 2 strokes though. You can't kill them. The '01 CR250 in my garage finally got a new piston last season. The rings were barely out of spec
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I liked the review, Dukester.

I don't have much to say on "dirtbikes", but I like it when MO tests and reports on them.

I am not wholly-unfamiliar with sliding about in the dirt, it's just that my skilzorz require an additional pair of wheels.
Thanks for responding, 'Hawk. Glad to hear your passion for motorcycles goes even beyond motorcycles you'd consider owning. I'm with you on that.