Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Good point. Not only did the Panigale hit the mark, it vaporized it, leaving no trace. What a bike. Saw in in the flesh at the Duc dealer the other day. Had to leave before getting dehydrated from all the drooling!
We've got a rainy weekend ahead of us, so I might have to snoop by the local dealer and take a peek.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
jmdonald
Founding Member
 
jmdonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 1,291
Default Best Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN View Post
Aprilia seems to be doing a lot of things right. Meanwhile Ducati seems to be uhmmm, well missing the mark a bit.
Ducati needs refocusing...
I think the Monster 1100 EVO at 12 grand is a bargain when you consider all the standard features. I think it's right on the mark.
__________________
Secede.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 97
Default

No I'm talking about their reliability issues, swelling gas tanks and the rest of the bikes in the line up that you don't have to ride in the fetal position.
848 street fighter ... Who cares. 848 multi would have been smarter.
This blows away the full size street fighter that already has been a slow seller for Ducati. Meanwhile Triumph and Aprilia are on fire. Yeah Ducati came out with an awsome fetal rocket. Hopefully it will be free of the electronic gremlins of the Multistrada.
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
jmdonald
Founding Member
 
jmdonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 1,291
Default Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN View Post
No I'm talking about their reliability issues, swelling gas tanks and the rest of the bikes in the line up that you don't have to ride in the fetal position.
848 street fighter ... Who cares. 848 multi would have been smarter.
This blows away the full size street fighter that already has been a slow seller for Ducati. Meanwhile Triumph and Aprilia are on fire. Yeah Ducati came out with an awsome fetal rocket. Hopefully it will be free of the electronic gremlins of the Multistrada.
Good points. Well taken.
__________________
Secede.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN View Post
No I'm talking about their reliability issues, swelling gas tanks and the rest of the bikes in the line up that you don't have to ride in the fetal position.
848 street fighter ... Who cares. 848 multi would have been smarter.
This blows away the full size street fighter that already has been a slow seller for Ducati. Meanwhile Triumph and Aprilia are on fire. Yeah Ducati came out with an awsome fetal rocket. Hopefully it will be free of the electronic gremlins of the Multistrada.
Sounding like a Ducati hater. The brand has just 2 "fetal" bikes: the 848 and 1199. Duc sales are up. And don't think there won't be an 848 Multi...
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
Huss
Founding Member
 
Huss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 254
Default

I'm not a spec sheet reader, but still cannot help but notice this Ape puts down 30 more hp than the similarly priced Triumph SpT-R.
The reason it matters is because the rest of the bike is so awesome.

Really, it shows the Triumph is over priced.

Wadda bike. And again shows how far behind the Japanese are now in so many categories.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Sounding like a Ducati hater. The brand has just 2 "fetal" bikes: the 848 and 1199. Duc sales are up. And don't think there won't be an 848 Multi...
Not a hater, hell I've owned two of them. However def. disappointed in Ducati's quality control. Yes I am a victim of bloating gas tanks, poor engine paint, self metling tail lights and many other quality issues. Great handling bikes but there are other choices from Italy and Aprilia seems to be doing a lot of right things. What does it say when the folks (current owners) on the Ducati forums won't recommend buying a Ducati without purchasing the factory extended warranty.
Sales are up due to Multistrada, and superbikes. Other models sales are stale.
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #18
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN View Post
Not a hater, hell I've owned two of them. However def. disappointed in Ducati's quality control. Yes I am a victim of bloating gas tanks, poor engine paint, self metling tail lights and many other quality issues. Great handling bikes but there are other choices from Italy and Aprilia seems to be doing a lot of right things. What does it say when the folks (current owners) on the Ducati forums won't recommend buying a Ducati without purchasing the factory extended warranty.
Sales are up due to Multistrada, and superbikes. Other models sales are stale.
That fuel tank thing is a nightmare, for sure. But I know owners of contemporary Ducs who definitely would recommend them. If we're cherry-picking owners to ask, check with guys who had to get new engines in their early RSV4s or SXVs. Not that I dislike Aprilias - my review says otherwise. Italian bikes are rarely known for being as trouble-free as a Japanese bike.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

I'm just wondering if Mr. Duke smoked the new tire or the pre-squared one that arrived with the bike...

Too bad the seat doesn't work in "real life." It sure looks cool.
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I'm just wondering if Mr. Duke smoked the new tire or the pre-squared one that arrived with the bike...

Too bad the seat doesn't work in "real life." It sure looks cool.
Since the tire was already square, I didn't do much further damage to it! The seat fix seems to be simply getting the one off the black version. This bike is so much fun, I'll make several excuses for it.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off