Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Yes, but that weight is Italian curves vs. German thickness..

I mean, just look at those perky jugs on the Griso! That's where a lot of the weight is, and who here doesn't like big Italian perky jugs?
Hey, you don't have to convince my eyes that the Guzzi is the prettier machine! It's a Diavel before there was a Diavel.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
commsoft
Founding Member

Very much looking forward to the evaluation of the 650GT by comparison! Sounds like it might be the ultimate touring machine for those who don't feel the need for the big power and big weight of touring bikes like the GL or K1600.
commsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #23
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Yes, but that weight is Italian curves vs. German thickness..

I mean, just look at those perky jugs on the Griso! That's where a lot of the weight is, and who here doesn't like big Italian perky jugs?

Your judgement may be a tad askew but I have to agree on the perky uplifted Italian jugs, I would have chosen the Stelvio or Norge` but that's just me....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #24
The Spaceman
Registered Member

I was reading an article about these scooters last night. They interviewed the BMW Product Manager, and he went on at length about "how easy" it is to use a scooter. He said: "I don't have to put on all my gear to go riding." And a lot of scooter riders don't; I see them all the time around here with shorts, t-shirts, sometimes with helmets, more often without.

I have to wonder if it's a good idea for BMW to promote a 100+ mph "scooter" as a vehicle that doesn't require "all the gear." I really don't think the pavement cares what type of vehicle you flew off of when you land on it at speed. Bopping around the beach on a traditional scooter is one thing, but 650cc and 60 horsepower motorbikes don't really fit that scenario.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #25
commsoft
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I was reading an article about these scooters last night. They interviewed the BMW Product Manager, and he went on at length about "how easy" it is to use a scooter. He said: "I don't have to put on all my gear to go riding." And a lot of scooter riders don't; I see them all the time around here with shorts, t-shirts, sometimes with helmets, more often without.

I have to wonder if it's a good idea for BMW to promote a 100+ mph "scooter" as a vehicle that doesn't require "all the gear." I really don't think the pavement cares what type of vehicle you flew off of when you land on it at speed. Bopping around the beach on a traditional scooter is one thing, but 650cc and 60 horsepower motorbikes don't really fit that scenario.
On the one hand, yes, ATGATT is obviously the more defensible position for safety at first glance, but the fact is that it makes motorcycling noticeably less convenient and accessible. Everyone needs to do their own risk calculus, and we need to include the cost of people not riding and driving their SUVs to work instead due to gear when we think about that. There are days I don't ride the bike because I'm wearing the wrong shoes and don't want to wear boots and carry a pair of shoes, or put on an armored riding jacket over an unwrinkled dress shirt.

A scooter shields your feet and knees from flying debris, so while yes, you would be less protected in a get off, you can wear dress shoes and slacks to work without needing to change, etc., and if that puts you on a scooter instead of in your truck, this may be better for both the rider and the rest of us as well. Just a counter-thought to the usual mantra which dictates that riding to work in anything less than full body armor is heresy.
commsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsoft View Post
. Everyone needs to do their own risk calculus. Just a counter-thought to the usual mantra which dictates that riding to work in anything less than full body armor is heresy.
Indeed. Full gear will, of course, offer you the best protection, and it's what we always recommend. But it's a free country, so it's thankfully up to the individual to decide for themselves what to wear.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Agreed, I dress for the weather. ATGATT in the wet and cold, jeans and a shirt in the summer but always with a helmet and gloves. My life and my choice.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote