Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 3
Default 2012 Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two Review


Original Article:
2012 Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Another chopperesque parts bin Sportster. Egads. With a hydroplane-line-following skinny front tire. Sign me up.

BTW. In 1972 Sportsters had 19" fronts, 18" rears and regular controls. Harley built nothing like it so it hearkens back to actually zilch. Chopped Sportsters were looked at as cheap substitutes for those who couldn't afford a Shovel, Pan or Knuck. So much for PR hype.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
schizuki
Founding Member
 
schizuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,030
Default

I'm flashing back to that box of Easyriders magazines I found out on the curb when I was in middle school. Fortunately I had previously gotten my hands on a couple Penthouse, so the Easyriders $kanks didn't imprint on me.

Kids these days don't know how good they've got it with the Internet. If you were a kid back in the day and you wanted pr0n, you had to find it. And you had to skillfully separate those moldy pages like you were defusing a bomb, so you didn't leave stuck paper on her best bits. It was either that, or be stuck with the JC Penney catalog lingerie section.

What were we talking about again?
__________________
Reverēre meam auctōritātem

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Huss
Founding Member
 
Huss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 254
Default

The current market that this is aimed for (20-30 yr olds) have no idea what it was like back when, so authenticism does not matter.
It has wicked paint, makes a statement, and will sell out.
The Japanese mfgs that cannot move their cruisers unless they have crazy discounts must be kicking themselves again.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Your gaze is drawn to the gleaming engine and exhaust, yet the Seventy-Two avoids looking gaudy, like H-D went over-the-top with the shiny stuff.
Pete, your eyes must not be what they used to way back when; (like, last week!) That, or there is no Accounting for taste (although there should be......)

accounting, noun:

1. a detailed report of the financial state or transactions of a person or entity: an accounting of the estate
2. an explanatory statement of conduct, as to a superior: an accounting of his actions and transgressions against all of motorcycledom before God
3. a statement of reasons, causes, etc., explaining some event.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 02-29-2012 at 01:41 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
The current market that this is aimed for (20-30 yr olds) have no idea what it was like back when, so authenticism does not matter.
It has wicked paint, makes a statement, and will sell out.
The Japanese mfgs that cannot move their cruisers unless they have crazy discounts must be kicking themselves again.
That explains why Honda's Furry could not be kept on Dealer Showroom-floors for the first year-and-a-half it was offered....

Note:
<--- does not give a half-shyte for Cruisers of any make, model, or other sub-category.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

 
Pete_Brissette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Greater L.A.
Posts: 114
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Pete, your eyes must not be what they used to way back when; (like, last week!) That, or there is no Accounting for taste (although there should be......)

accounting, noun:

1. a detailed report of the financial state or transactions of a person or entity: an accounting of the estate
2. an explanatory statement of conduct, as to a superior: an accounting of his actions and transgressions against all of motorcycledom before God
3. a statement of reasons, causes, etc., explaining some event.
Someone 'round here recently said something about bike reviews being chock full o' opinions...

May I please have a copy of The_AirHawk's Dictionary? It's well annotated.
__________________
"If I had to live my life over, I'd live over a saloon." --W.C. Fields

Last edited by Pete_Brissette : 02-29-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Pete_Brissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

 
Pete_Brissette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Greater L.A.
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Another chopperesque parts bin Sportster. Egads. With a hydroplane-line-following skinny front tire. Sign me up.

BTW. In 1972 Sportsters had 19" fronts, 18" rears and regular controls. Harley built nothing like it so it hearkens back to actually zilch. Chopped Sportsters were looked at as cheap substitutes for those who couldn't afford a Shovel, Pan or Knuck. So much for PR hype.
You're a living encyclopedia of motorcycle history, no doubt. I'm guessing, tho, that H-D was trying to hit on the chopper theme from way back, as a generalization, and put it into this current Sporty. I haven't spoken with the designer, but I'm not sure the idea was to directly resurrect the image of chopped/bobbed Sporties back in the day, just some of the dominant chopper themes of the era.
__________________
"If I had to live my life over, I'd live over a saloon." --W.C. Fields
Pete_Brissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
I'm flashing back to that box of Easyriders magazines I found out on the curb when I was in middle school. Fortunately I had previously gotten my hands on a couple Penthouse, so the Easyriders $kanks didn't imprint on me.

Kids these days don't know how good they've got it with the Internet. If you were a kid back in the day and you wanted pr0n, you had to find it. And you had to skillfully separate those moldy pages like you were defusing a bomb, so you didn't leave stuck paper on her best bits. It was either that, or be stuck with the JC Penney catalog lingerie section.

What were we talking about again?
Dude that is hilarious because we had an alley behind my house in L.A. My buddies and I found a bunch of muddy copies of 70s skin rags and kept em stashed back there for easy viewing.

Those were the days!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

Are we sure its not 1/3 scale? Sporties aren't the largest bikes but that looks like a rebel with a vtwin.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off