Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20091-2012-harley-davidson-seventy-two-review.html)

Administrator 02-29-2012 12:17 PM

2012 Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two Review

Original Article:
2012 Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 02-29-2012 12:25 PM

Another chopperesque parts bin Sportster. Egads. With a hydroplane-line-following skinny front tire. Sign me up.

BTW. In 1972 Sportsters had 19" fronts, 18" rears and regular controls. Harley built nothing like it so it hearkens back to actually zilch. Chopped Sportsters were looked at as cheap substitutes for those who couldn't afford a Shovel, Pan or Knuck. So much for PR hype.

schizuki 02-29-2012 12:27 PM

I'm flashing back to that box of Easyriders magazines I found out on the curb when I was in middle school. Fortunately I had previously gotten my hands on a couple Penthouse, so the Easyriders $kanks didn't imprint on me.

Kids these days don't know how good they've got it with the Internet. If you were a kid back in the day and you wanted pr0n, you had to find it. And you had to skillfully separate those moldy pages like you were defusing a bomb, so you didn't leave stuck paper on her best bits. It was either that, or be stuck with the JC Penney catalog lingerie section.

What were we talking about again?

Huss 02-29-2012 12:33 PM

The current market that this is aimed for (20-30 yr olds) have no idea what it was like back when, so authenticism does not matter.
It has wicked paint, makes a statement, and will sell out.
The Japanese mfgs that cannot move their cruisers unless they have crazy discounts must be kicking themselves again.

The_AirHawk 02-29-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Your gaze is drawn to the gleaming engine and exhaust, yet the Seventy-Two avoids looking gaudy, like H-D went over-the-top with the shiny stuff.
Pete, your eyes must not be what they used to way back when; (like, last week!) That, or there is no Accounting for taste (although there should be......)

accounting, noun:

1. a detailed report of the financial state or transactions of a person or entity: an accounting of the estate
2. an explanatory statement of conduct, as to a superior: an accounting of his actions and transgressions against all of motorcycledom before God
3. a statement of reasons, causes, etc., explaining some event.

The_AirHawk 02-29-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huss (Post 273532)
The current market that this is aimed for (20-30 yr olds) have no idea what it was like back when, so authenticism does not matter.
It has wicked paint, makes a statement, and will sell out.
The Japanese mfgs that cannot move their cruisers unless they have crazy discounts must be kicking themselves again.

That explains why Honda's Furry could not be kept on Dealer Showroom-floors for the first year-and-a-half it was offered....

Note:
<--- does not give a half-shyte for Cruisers of any make, model, or other sub-category.

Pete_Brissette 02-29-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 273533)
Pete, your eyes must not be what they used to way back when; (like, last week!) That, or there is no Accounting for taste (although there should be......)

accounting, noun:

1. a detailed report of the financial state or transactions of a person or entity: an accounting of the estate
2. an explanatory statement of conduct, as to a superior: an accounting of his actions and transgressions against all of motorcycledom before God
3. a statement of reasons, causes, etc., explaining some event.

Someone 'round here recently said something about bike reviews being chock full o' opinions... :cool:

May I please have a copy of The_AirHawk's Dictionary? It's well annotated.

Pete_Brissette 02-29-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 273528)
Another chopperesque parts bin Sportster. Egads. With a hydroplane-line-following skinny front tire. Sign me up.

BTW. In 1972 Sportsters had 19" fronts, 18" rears and regular controls. Harley built nothing like it so it hearkens back to actually zilch. Chopped Sportsters were looked at as cheap substitutes for those who couldn't afford a Shovel, Pan or Knuck. So much for PR hype.

You're a living encyclopedia of motorcycle history, no doubt. I'm guessing, tho, that H-D was trying to hit on the chopper theme from way back, as a generalization, and put it into this current Sporty. I haven't spoken with the designer, but I'm not sure the idea was to directly resurrect the image of chopped/bobbed Sporties back in the day, just some of the dominant chopper themes of the era. :wink:

Buzglyd 02-29-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 273529)
I'm flashing back to that box of Easyriders magazines I found out on the curb when I was in middle school. Fortunately I had previously gotten my hands on a couple Penthouse, so the Easyriders $kanks didn't imprint on me.

Kids these days don't know how good they've got it with the Internet. If you were a kid back in the day and you wanted pr0n, you had to find it. And you had to skillfully separate those moldy pages like you were defusing a bomb, so you didn't leave stuck paper on her best bits. It was either that, or be stuck with the JC Penney catalog lingerie section.

What were we talking about again?

Dude that is hilarious because we had an alley behind my house in L.A. My buddies and I found a bunch of muddy copies of 70s skin rags and kept em stashed back there for easy viewing.

Those were the days!

12er 02-29-2012 03:16 PM

Are we sure its not 1/3 scale? Sporties aren't the largest bikes but that looks like a rebel with a vtwin.