Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
BTW. In 1972 Sportsters had 19" fronts, 18" rears and regular controls. Harley built nothing like it so it hearkens back to actually zilch. Chopped Sportsters were looked at as cheap substitutes for those who couldn't afford a Shovel, Pan or Knuck. So much for PR hype.

Indeed, Sporties and Superglides used the same single disc 19 inch hub, as I recall you couldn't lace a 21 in rim to it, different spoke patterns. You had to use a regular FLH hub that was wide enough offset for the 21 to work, then you were stuck with a wide glide front end which looked pretty stupid on a Sporty.

This was before a million aftermarket parts were available, basically you had stock parts and the Jammer catalog to work with. I suppose you could ****** something up to work but no one I saw ever did. The '75 XLCH I had, had a 16/19 combo while the '78 XLH had the 18/19 and was a much better handling bike, mainly because you could run Conti's Avons or Metzlers. With the 16 rear you were stuck with crappy Dunlop MT90/16's

At least they got the seat height right on this one. I personally like this, I think they did a pretty good job on it. The gaudy paint is probably a Kali thing, most Sporty's had either the stock tank and fenders in whatever color they came in or rattle can black. You just didn't spend a lot of money on a Sportster, you saved it up to build a Pan or Shovel. Sporty parts were a dime a dozen.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 03-01-2012 at 11:09 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
Huss
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
How could you tell? The thing (furry) doesn't say "Honda" on it anywhere.
It's the bike that looks like a giant size child's toy.
All it's missing are pedals.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote