Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale Review - Video (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20080-2012-ducati-1199-panigale-review-video.html)

Administrator 02-20-2012 03:46 PM

2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale Review - Video

Original Article:
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale Review - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale Review - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

mts 02-20-2012 04:44 PM

Fantastic looking bike!

Except the video was trying too hard. When I read a magazine, I don't wave it all around while I'm trying to look at the pictures to give it a sense of dynamic motion. Just give us some slow, steady panning so we can get a good look at it.

Buzglyd 02-20-2012 05:01 PM

Mama Mia.

This would look so nice parked next to the BMW.

jmdonald 02-20-2012 06:29 PM

Beautiful

I need a bigger garage. This bike is gorgeous.

Kevin_Duke 02-20-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 273336)
Mama Mia.

This would look so nice parked next to the BMW.

I think there will be plenty others who will think so. Starting at just $4K more than a Japanese literbike, it's a desirable piece!

The Spaceman 02-21-2012 05:24 AM

Did you get to take your Mom to Abu Dahbi, Mr. Duke? You've got great racing form in the track photos; hope she got to see you out there.

It will be very interesting to see how well the monocoque holds up in everyday use. Frankly I'm skeptical about hanging so much weight, under so much stress, off a 10lb cast aluminium box. Not to mention the stresses that both ends, fork and swingarm, are going to transmit into the engine. Of course, I'm not a structural engineer, but I do play one on teevee.

Cool article, cool bike, looks like there will be a bunch of Finagle S demo bikes up for sale in a few months.

Duken4evr 02-21-2012 07:26 AM

What a cool machine - a 2 wheeled Ferrari for the discerning buyer. It is obvious that this machine was created by people who are intensely bright and concurrently manical about motorcycles. Such a rarity to see a mass produced product with such "purity". Looking good on the Duc Kevin!

The pricing on the bike is easily justifiable. I wonder if we are not benefiting from the terrible Euro economy on the pricing front. Wondering if Duc will come out with an 848 version of this. That would be cool. Gotta admit the bike is a wee bit intimidating. Good thing it has an adjustable traction control nanny. I think I would need it!

No doubt there is job related stress, deadlines and general BS, but when you get to go to a world class track in Abu Dahbi and ride a historic and completely new Ducati, well, that is a nice perk :)

jmdonald 02-21-2012 08:21 AM

I wonder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 273344)
No doubt there is job related stress, deadlines and general BS, but when you get to go to a world class track in Abu Dahbi and ride a historic and completely new Ducati, well, that is a nice perk :)

Obviously Mr. Dukes relationship with The Dali Lama is paying off.

Kevin_Duke 02-21-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 273340)
Did you get to take your Mom to Abu Dahbi, Mr. Duke? You've got great racing form in the track photos; hope she got to see you out there.

It will be very interesting to see how well the monocoque holds up in everyday use. Frankly I'm skeptical about hanging so much weight, under so much stress, off a 10lb cast aluminium box. Not to mention the stresses that both ends, fork and swingarm, are going to transmit into the engine. Of course, I'm not a structural engineer, but I do play one on teevee.

Cool article, cool bike, looks like there will be a bunch of Finagle S demo bikes up for sale in a few months.

No, Ducati wasn't willing to pick up Mom's airfare. :) I was just trying to say that even a non-fan can tell the 1199 is something cool after just a long glance. She's disliked bikes bikes long before a CBR-F2's chain lopped off her son's finger in a racing crash; even less afterward!

I wouldn't be at all concerned about the monocoque structure holding up in normal use. However, a triple-digit get-off in which the bike cartwheels has the potential to rip a frame stud out of a cylinder head.

Buzglyd 02-21-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 273352)
No, Ducati wasn't willing to pick up Mom's airfare. :) I was just trying to say that even a non-fan can tell the 1199 is something cool after just a long glance. She's disliked bikes bikes long before a CBR-F2's chain lopped off her son's finger in a racing crash; even less afterward!

I wouldn't be at all concerned about the monocoque structure holding up in normal use. However, a triple-digit get-off in which the bike cartwheels has the potential to rip a frame stud out of a cylinder head.

So wadding on the Ortega Hwy isn't considered normal use?