Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two and Softail Slim Preview (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20037-2012-harley-davidson-seventy-two-softail-slim-preview.html)

Administrator 02-03-2012 11:08 AM

2012 Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two and Softail Slim Preview

Original Article:
2012 Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two and Softail Slim Preview

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two and Softail Slim Preview in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Huss 02-03-2012 11:42 AM

While I like the metal flake tank on the 72, the bike as a whole is way too gaudy for me. I prefer cruisers more stripped down with less chrome which is why I owned a Street Bob.
The Slimline - looks great. 700lbs? What makes Softails sooo much heavier than Dynas? Is the frame really that much heavier? I know lots of the large Japanese cruisers are also at that weight so I'm not knocking the bike, just curious.

sarnali2 02-03-2012 11:52 AM

The Sporty looks pretty cool, That was pretty much the style back then as I recall. The Fat Bob is well, fat...and Bob I guess, doesn't really do it for me.

Buzglyd 02-03-2012 03:51 PM

That thing is pretty groovy. The hipsters riding in the metal flake helmets and Chuck Taylors are gonna go nuts over this one.

It's funny how the "intelligentsia" were always yammering how H-D needed to appeal to younger riders and build sport bikes.

In So Cal I see way more youngsters on H-Ds now than rice rockets. The local dealers will tell you they can't keep the cool new sporty models on the floor.

I went riding last weekend with some friends. Scott Jacobs (H-D's official artist) was in our group. His wife was riding a 48. It was pretty damn cool looking.

His house is just amazing with all the artwork but that's a story for another time.

schizuki 02-03-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 272998)
That thing is pretty groovy. The hipsters riding in the metal flake helmets and Chuck Taylors are gonna go nuts over this one.

It's funny how the "intelligentsia" were always yammering how H-D needed to appeal to younger riders and build sport bikes.

In So Cal I see way more youngsters on H-Ds now than rice rockets. The local dealers will tell you they can't keep the cool new sporty models on the floor.

Whoa! I'm hip! And young!

Buzglyd 02-03-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 272999)
Whoa! I'm hip! And young!

I didn't say hip, young girls.

Go to the mall where you belong.

Huss 02-03-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 272999)
Whoa! I have a bad hip! And I was young!

FTFY
;)

Harley actually is dominating in the over 800cc market for 18-35 year olds. Their Dark Series bikes really have taken off.

I dunno about this one - the 72. I already have the matching metalflake Fulmer helmet, but I much prefer the way the Iron or 48 looks. The 72 looks like I should be wearing polyester and a really wide collar. I know that's the point, but...

But either way this thing is cheaper than that Honda Fairy I mean Fury 'chopper', and does not look like it's made of plastic and putty.
So if it's your bag baby, then groovy..

schizuki 02-03-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huss (Post 273001)
Harley actually is dominating in the over 800cc market for 18-35 year olds.

No, no, no. Harleys have no appeal to young people, what with the antiquated engine design and stuck-in-a-rut styling. Haven't you heard? Several late-middle-age guys around here with their fingers on the pulse of America's youth have told us so many times.

Quote:

Their Dark Series bikes really have taken off.
Again, you must be mistaken. Harley's parts-bin designs are simply a cheap trick by a dying company. Nobody's fooled.

Oh, BTW, smart guy, my hip is fine. It's my sciatica that acts up.

seruzawa 02-03-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 272998)

I went riding last weekend with some friends. Scott Jacobs (H-D's official artist) was in our group. His wife was riding a 48. It was pretty damn cool looking.

His house is just amazing with all the artwork but that's a story for another time.

"Everybody knew" young guys would never buy Harleys and would only buy crotch rockets. Then the young guys on crotch rockets noticed the chicks digging riding on Harleys. Exit the crotch rocket. Enter the Harley.

Everybody was wrong once again. However I predicted years ago that there would always be at least some demand for HDs by young guys/gals and that the company's imminent demise was rubbish. Looks like Kook and his ilk were full of shyt again.

The Spaceman 02-04-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 273003)
No, no, no. Harleys have no appeal to young people, what with the antiquated engine design and stuck-in-a-rut styling. Haven't you heard? Several late-middle-age guys around here with their fingers on the pulse of America's youth have told us so many times.

Yeah..what a dumbass that guy is. Reading all those "facts" and "figures," and drawing "conclusions" from them.

I'm glad I'm stoopid too.

Demographic Headwinds Hitting Harley-Davidson - Seeking Alpha