Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Sportsters are cheap, simple, basic and elemental. If I had to show an alien a motorcycle, I'd show them a Sportster or a Bonneville. Two wheels, an air-cooled engine, boom, there ya go.

My Sporty is the most satisfying bike I've ever owned (not that I've owned much). I've never understood the appeal of hyperbikes on the street. Chacun à son goût.
You could show the alien this too:

Same elemental appeal but smokes the Sporty and the Triumph.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post

Same elemental appeal but smokes the Sporty and the Triumph.
Sorry, but an ethanol-sensitive plastic fuel tank is an automatic disqualifier.

Give it a metal tank and I'm listening.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Sorry, but an ethanol-sensitive plastic fuel tank is an automatic disqualifier.

Give it a metal tank and I'm listening.
If one, ONE, candidate would say they'll end the ethanol mandate, I'll vote for him. Even Obama.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
Africord
Registered Member

Default Missing Part of the Comparison

I realize this was a "head to head" comparison, but to ignore that the America is part of a collection of options that revolve around that 865 twin seems to be disservice to the reader. I realize that there are multiple versions of Sportsters, and the author commented on it, but what about the Bonneville, and Thruxton options? Yes, this turns the bike into a standard, and cafe racer, respectively. But these bikes are close to the same price point. No, I don't think the 270 vs 360 firing order is a huge difference in the experience.
Africord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The 360 vs 270 is a philosophical difference more than anything. It gives the bike a lumpier idle instead of the pop-pop-pop-pop 360 that they're supposed to sound like and is more of a cruiserish sound. On the Scrambler it's supposed to increase torque, I've owned Bonnies and Thruxtons but not the Scrambler so I can't say one way or the other.

I've also owned a couple of Ironhead Sporties and have ridden my buds evo engined Sporty and also the Buell version, I personally think they're a kick in the butt to ride. I can't do the superlow version simply because I'm too big but regular Sporties are more fun than a pillowcase full of puppies.

Given the choice I'd go with the Speedmaster or Superglide myself but that's just personal preference. Either of these two bikes would be fine.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
bbtowns
Founding Member

Long story short, if you want a Harley get a Harley, but if you want the motorcycle in this comparo get the Triumph. The Triumph does have weird tire sizes though, you don't see 15" rear tires very often. I don't ride cruisers, but I'd think your choices in that size might be limited.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
thm4855
Registered Member

Default wind noice

I wonder if you heard of wind shielded microphones? Beside an unclear voice the "talker" was not easy to hear.
ThM - Norway
thm4855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
Huss
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to excite an alien.

After all, they are famous for probing an' stuff.

Personally I'd show them a Rebel 250. Or maybe a Chinese scooter.

Last edited by Huss : 01-30-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I'm really surprised the Triumph didn't get a clear "Win" out of this comparo. The suspension travel alone might be enough, add in a smoother and more powerful engine; seems to me you've got a winner.

"The Triumph America is in some ways a typical Harley-clone."

No, it's not. The Triumph's DNA stands alone; unlike the typical Japanese cruiser knock-offs. The Brits were already building virtually this same bike back in the 50's when HD started designing the Sportster. I think Triumph deserves credit for being true to their own heritage, versus glomming on to HD's.

One last thing: Triumph did a beautiful job on the engine. Between the hidden EFI "carbs" and making it look like a non-unit construction, it's very cool. It might be hard to pick out the vintage bike if you parked the America next to a well-restored 1960's Bonneville.
For once I have to agree with Ken. There were Triumph cruisers/choppers loooong before "The Motor Company" produced it's own organic cruiser. Until the Japanese invasion the Brits were the forefront of performance.

The Sportster itself was HD's response to the demand for lighter, more powerful motorcycles by returning US servicemen. It was a Triumph/BSA/Norton clone.

HD's an upstart company anyhow. Both Triumph and Royal Enfield pre-date it.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
Huss
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
HD's an upstart company anyhow. Both Triumph and Royal Enfield pre-date it.
I just rode a new Royal Enfield. Dealer gave me the keys hoping I would buy one.
Fun in a way all 2 wheeled powered transportation is but... priced at $6K, feels like it should be sold for $2K...

I have a feeling in India (where it is made) it is priced correctly.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote