Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
FatPossum44444
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Yeah, this doesn't have half a chance of selling. 20 more horsepower and another disc up front at the same price, and they'd have a fighting chance. Many people looking at a V-strom would consider it with those specs.
DCT? Why? How many times does Honda have to over-engineer a motorcycle before they figure out that the experience is all about being in touch with the machine? I like shifting gears.
I love practical bikes (I own a Strom), and I like the concept of the non-DCT version, but it falls short where it counts. 60-70whp is the sweet spot for a bike like this: just enough to be fun and get out of the way, but not so much as to be a liability. You'll never convince me that a long stroke motor is the way to go for a motorcycle. Suzuki managed to build a flat torque curve into their 650 twins with an oversquare arrangement, without sacrificing horsepower and limiting RPM. And, they get typically 50-60mpg.
FatPossum44444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
jmdonald
Founding Member
 
jmdonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 1,291
Default Appealing Premise

I like the premise but agree that Honda has missed the HP sweetspot for this 500 lb. bike.
__________________
Secede.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
Duken4evr
Founding Member
 
Duken4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 722
Default

DCT could rock in an off road enduro bike format. Lots of guys spend quite a bit of money on Rekluse auto clutches for their dirt bikes. When the going gets truly gnarly and the rider is hanging on for dear life, not having to clutch is a real value. Add auto gear change, well, I think I would like it. The reviews of the DCT system on the VFR1200 are very positive.

Still needs a bigger throttle body and 20 more hp though. I can get behind putting a motorcycle engine in a big scooter, but Honda got it backwards and put a scooter motor in a motorcycle.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
bmwclay
Founding Member
 
bmwclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 144
Thumbs up Honda

Reminds me of my CB-450 but with less technology and about the same power.
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
DCT could rock in an off road enduro bike format. Lots of guys spend quite a bit of money on Rekluse auto clutches for their dirt bikes. When the going gets truly gnarly and the rider is hanging on for dear life, not having to clutch is a real value. Add auto gear change, well, I think I would like it. The reviews of the DCT system on the VFR1200 are very positive.

Still needs a bigger throttle body and 20 more hp though. I can get behind putting a motorcycle engine in a big scooter, but Honda got it backwards and put a scooter motor in a motorcycle.
Though I've never ridden a dirt bike with an auto clutch, I have learned that automatic trannies in off-road vehicles are better then stick shifts. Similar reasons. No clutching.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
mugwump58
Registered Member
 
mugwump58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 43.47N-76.48W
Posts: 589
Default

After my initial "Oh look what Honda's done now...". I've been thinking about it.

I want to know what's the valve adjustment interval, what't the real world mileage estimates and how much power does the alternator put out.

Could be this is the replacement for the current commuter.

Now I'll read this review.

Oh yes do the shoot out!

Last edited by mugwump58 : 01-21-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Read the review
mugwump58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #17
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

[quote=mugwump58;272654]
I want to know what's the valve adjustment interval, what't the real world mileage estimates and how much power does the alternator put out.
quote]

Dunno about the alternator, but it has 7500-mile service intervals.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 97
Default

Yep down on power. On the Honda website they tout two up touring on this bike..... Put an aftermarket pipe on it, remap the ecu and you will start to lose MPG and then that gas tank will start looking very small. 7500 valve intervals??? How does Yamaha do 26,000 mile valve intervals??? A 32 in seat hieght? Maybe this is one of those bikes that looks and feels and fits better in person than on the spec sheet.....
I may have to pay more if Ducati would come out with a non-computerfied 796 or 848 down sized Multistrada.....
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN View Post
Yep down on power. On the Honda website they tout two up touring on this bike..... Put an aftermarket pipe on it, remap the ecu and you will start to lose MPG and then that gas tank will start looking very small. 7500 valve intervals??? How does Yamaha do 26,000 mile valve intervals??? A 32 in seat hieght? Maybe this is one of those bikes that looks and feels and fits better in person than on the spec sheet.....
I may have to pay more if Ducati would come out with a non-computerfied 796 or 848 down sized Multistrada.....
A lower seat height here.

I bet they'll be a Multistrada with the 848 SF engine in about a year.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
A lower seat height here.

I bet they'll be a Multistrada with the 848 SF engine in about a year.
Well I hope your right! I certainly expect one.... Ducati has been asleep in the 800cc adventure market. BMW and Triumph have blown by them.
As far as I can tell the lower seat hieght S is not going to be here in the US

Last edited by SpeedwayRN : 01-22-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: add content
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off