Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Ohlins Mechatronic: Making Suspension Smarter (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19978-ohlins-mechatronic-making-suspension-smarter.html)

Administrator 01-12-2012 10:02 AM

Ohlins Mechatronic: Making Suspension Smarter

Original Article:
Ohlins Mechatronic: Making Suspension Smarter

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Ohlins Mechatronic: Making Suspension Smarter in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The Spaceman 01-13-2012 08:01 AM

I'm impressed with the increasing technology in bike suspensions, in particular, that the aftermarket can upgrade/replace existing ESA systems, or even add a complete new system to a bike that came without one.

I was never so amazed as I was after a modest upgrade to my DL1000's suspension, and in particular, having it set up by an expert specifically for me. It was truly a "night and day" difference in handling...a huge confidence builder in the fast sweepers.

This was kinda funny:

Öhlins doesn’t want GS riders crashing due to an EC suspension that wasn’t up to the task of handling higher speeds when left in the COMF setting.

"Our idiot-proofing has produced better idiots."

Buzglyd 01-13-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 272471)
I'm impressed with the increasing technology in bike suspensions, in particular, that the aftermarket can upgrade/replace existing ESA systems, or even add a complete new system to a bike that came without one.

I was never so amazed as I was after a modest upgrade to my DL1000's suspension, and in particular, having it set up by an expert specifically for me. It was truly a "night and day" difference in handling...a huge confidence builder in the fast sweepers.

This was kinda funny:

Öhlins doesn’t want GS riders crashing due to an EC suspension that wasn’t up to the task of handling higher speeds when left in the COMF setting.

"Our idiot-proofing has produced better idiots."

The only fast sweepers I've seen in FL are the guys who hose down the A1A in Ft. Lauderdale after a night of boozing.

The Spaceman 01-13-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 272473)
The only fast sweepers I've seen in FL are the guys who hose down the A1A in Ft. Lauderdale after a night of boozing.

C'mon, we have Interstate ramps, bridges...

Kevin_Duke 01-13-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 272471)

It's kinda sad that riders choosing to bolt on an aftermarket exhaust outnumber riders who upgrade (or even dial-in properly) their suspensions by a factor of approximately, oh, 10,000 to 1.

cloud9 01-22-2012 01:59 PM

I know one reason for that. Figuring out what exhaust system you want is a hell of a lot easier than choosing a proper spring, shock weight oil and figuring out just the right amount of rebound, compression, etc..... Once it's dialed in though I hear it makes a world of a difference.