Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2013 BMW R1250GS Preview

Original Article:
2013 BMW R1250GS Preview

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 BMW R1250GS Preview in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Time will tell

If this new offering is heavier than the old one it may not be as appealing as some of the other Manufacturers. 600 lbs. should not be the new standard.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Interesting, a shame they have to go to water cooling though, the (semi) air cooled boxer is iconic. No matter really, I have my eye on the new Triumph Explorer or the ever popular Stelvio for if and when my trusty PzKw gives up the ghost..

Unless I turn gay, buy a Sportster and move to Utah....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

In all my riding years I've only once seen GSes with mud on them. It was last year in Island Park, Idaho on the way to Yellowstone. I sawr about 25 GSes and KTMs in a big tour group and they'd been running the fireroads. By my measure only 1% of GS owners ever take them off the asphalt so if the GS grows into some 600+lb monstrosity almost no one will notice.

I hear that some Seattle area GS owners are planning on moving to Salt Lake now.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The guys I know with GS's ride them, in fact they rode up to the arctic circle last summer. I was invited but used my vacation getting my colon yanked out an trimmed by a few feet instead, That said most of them are the SUVs of the motorcycle world, much more at home at the Starbucks than the boonies. Similar to Tigers, except without all the tasseled loafer-SLC chic/Brokeback Mtn conatations...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
The Spaceman
Registered Member

The contrast between BMW's willingness to surrrender their "iconic" engine design versus Harley's desperate clinging to it intrigues me. Both are 100 y/o motorcycle companies with an engine design that essentially defines their image.

HD had several opportunities over the past decades to step up with new technology and position themselves as something more than a "nostalgia" company. BMW didn't have to do this; at least not now. They could probably keep selling the aircooled Boxers for another decade. But the fact they chose to do it will, IMO, serve them well in the future.

Come on HD, build a Revolution baggger and put it in the dealerships.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
The contrast between BMW's willingness to surrrender their "iconic" engine design versus Harley's desperate clinging to it intrigues me. Both are 100 y/o motorcycle companies with an engine design that essentially defines their image.

HD had several opportunities over the past decades to step up with new technology and position themselves as something more than a "nostalgia" company. BMW didn't have to do this; at least not now. They could probably keep selling the aircooled Boxers for another decade. But the fact they chose to do it will, IMO, serve them well in the future.
Well, they DID "step up" with the V-Rod. I guess Europeans buy some. I don't know if it will serve Harley well in the future, but it seems to be serving them f***-all now.

Honestly, I don't understand why so many people don't get the appeal of air-cooled engines. I absolutely will not buy a liquid-cooled bike. I like elemental simplicity and clean lines on a motorcycle, not radiators and plumbing. And I haven't liked a BMW since the R100 series:

Quote:
Come on HD, build a Revolution baggger and put it in the dealerships.
Where it will be scarfed up by the "c'mon, HD!" crowd like they hoovered all of those liquid-cooled Buells they clamored for.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
The Spaceman
Registered Member

The R-90 is the BMW.

The Buell was a total departure from HD's market. They should never have bought Buell unless they were in it for the long haul. You don't become competitive against Japan Inc. in a few years. The venture didn't even get started before they shut it down.

Eventually there won't be enough aging boomers to buy GasGlides at a rate to keep HD alive as anything more than a niche player.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
The R-90 is the BMW.
Touché.

Quote:
Eventually there won't be enough aging boomers to buy GasGlides at a rate to keep HD alive as anything more than a niche player.
The other manufacturers will be no better off. Kids today don't want bikes, they want social media access.

And I would wager that the average age of forward-thinking BMW's riders is at least as old as Harley's, if not older.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Kids today don't want bikes, they want social media access.
I really don't want to believe the above point, but it's the sad fact about the next gen of youngsters coming along. It's kinda sobering to think motorcycling in America will never be bigger than it was in the 2000s.