Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 BMW R1250GS Preview (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19976-2013-bmw-r1250gs-preview.html)

sarnali2 01-17-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 272504)
I dunno. Aside from better foods and microbrew beers, I can't see anything the Boomers have done that compensates for their cultural destructiveness and institutional fascism.

Civil rights for one, when you need National Guard troops to walk some little girl to school with the state governer trying to keep her out, that's about as pathetic a thing I can think of. Changing that's something boomers can be proud of at least.

To be honest I think they're a bunch of self centered assholes myself and I resent being lumped in with them. How can every other generation run for a decade while they go from the mid 40's to what, 1965 or so? I didn't grow up with Howdy Doody or Roy Rogers, In fact I didn't even grow up here, I lived in Canada untill I was 10...I think 50's and 60's cars were total rolling turds and the only reason I ever bought one was because they were so cheap.

Those 440 and 396's that are so sought after now were $300 specials back then, nobody wanted them except people who couldn't afford anything else. After the first gas crunch they were worth more for scrap iron, they could hardly give them away, now guys pay top dollar for them, incredible....

I was a teenager in the 70's and turned 21 in 1979, That's what I relate to, Hawaii 5-0 and Cannon, Steve McQueen and Clint Eastwood movies, that kind of stuff but I'm supposed to be a "boomer".. ah well shows what stereotypes are worth..

The Spaceman 01-17-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 272512)
Civil rights for one, when you need National Guard troops to walk some little girl to school with the state governer trying to keep her out, that's about as pathetic a thing I can think of. Changing that's something boomers can be proud of at least.

To be honest I think they're a bunch of self centered assholes myself and I resent being lumped in with them. How can every other generation run for a decade while they go from the mid 40's to what, 1965 or so? I didn't grow up with Howdy Doody or Roy Rogers, In fact I didn't even grow up here, I lived in Canada untill I was 10...I think 50's and 60's cars were total rolling turds and the only reason I ever bought one was because they were so cheap.

Those 440 and 396's that are so sought after now were $300 specials back then, nobody wanted them except people who couldn't afford anything else. After the first gas crunch they were worth more for scrap iron, they could hardly give them away, now guys pay top dollar for them, incredible....

I was a teenager in the 70's and turned 21 in 1979, That's what I relate to, Hawaii 5-0 and Cannon, Steve McQueen and Clint Eastwood movies, that kind of stuff but I'm supposed to be a "boomer".. ah well shows what stereotypes are worth..

Wow, best post of 2012 so far.

We are lumped in with a "mega-generation" whose '50's era teens were absolutely nothing like teens of the 70's. It reflects in motorcycling as well, in the transition from heavyweight Indians and HDs to Brit and Japanese.

About the cars, spot on again. With very rare exceptions today's "classic muscle" was yesterday's 24k-mile disposable. The summer I bought my first car (A/H Sprite) was followed a few months later by the gas crises. For months you could not rely on getting gasoline when and were you needed it...regardless of price. Add that to the fact that I worked after school in a garage, and the US cars used alternators, water pumps, bearings, u-joints, etc. like tampons... No wonder the closest thing to an American car I ever owned was a Honda assembled in the US.

sarnali2 01-17-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 272515)
Wow, best post of 2012 so far.

We are lumped in with a "mega-generation" whose '50's era teens were absolutely nothing like teens of the 70's. It reflects in motorcycling as well, in the transition from heavyweight Indians and HDs to Brit and Japanese.

About the cars, spot on again. With very rare exceptions today's "classic muscle" was yesterday's 24k-mile disposable. The summer I bought my first car (A/H Sprite) was followed a few months later by the gas crises. For months you could not rely on getting gasoline when and were you needed it...regardless of price. Add that to the fact that I worked after school in a garage, and the US cars used alternators, water pumps, bearings, u-joints, etc. like tampons... No wonder the closest thing to an American car I ever owned was a Honda assembled in the US.

You're right, they were total crap. big unreliable wallowing ill handling, poor braking barges. They needed 460's and 440's just to move their own bulk. Total junk. They only thing they were good for was to **** girls in the back seat. I was fortunate because my dad sold Foreign cars for awhile after he got caught in the "Last one leaving Seattle turn off the lights" Boeing lay-off in '70. I got to ride around in BMW 2002's, Porsche 911's and Alfa Romeo Spyders while my friends were stuck in LTD's and Plymouth Belvederes.

The car I lusted after was a 240Z, however I'd have settled for a Celica ST. American cars have really come a long way from the bad old days...

schizuki 01-17-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 272512)

Little Rock was 1957. The oldest Boomers were 12.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was, well, 1964. The oldest Boomers were 19. An insignificant voting block and zero political offices.

Sorry, but it's the G.I. Generation and the Silents that get credit for the civil rights movement.

Buzglyd 01-17-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 272519)

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was, well, 1964. The oldest Boomers were 19. An insignificant voting block and zero political offices.

Sorry, but it's the G.I. Generation and the Silents that get credit for the civil rights movement.

Well isn't that just like a Boomer to take credit for crap they didn't do.

Like Bubba claiming he remember black churches in Arkansas getting burned when he was a kid. Of course no black churches were ever burned in Arkansas but he clearly remembers it!

schizuki 01-17-2012 05:59 PM

OK, we're drifting political, so I'll stop here.

Buzzy honey, bring home a gallon of milk. Those saddlebags are for more than your road trip thimble and teaspoon collecting.

The Spaceman 01-18-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 272519)

Horsecrap. Those protest marches weren't filled with "voting citizens" and politicians. The teenage and 20 somethings of the 60's and 70's were deeply involved in forcing civil rights and other social issues of the day onto the national stage. The GI / Silents were the ones sitting at home screaming at the teevee about the uppity ******s and filthy hippies.

sarnali2 01-18-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 272534)
Horsecrap. Those protest marches weren't filled with "voting citizens" and politicians. The teenage and 20 somethings of the 60's and 70's were deeply involved in forcing civil rights and other social issues of the day onto the national stage. The GI / Silents were the ones sitting at home screaming at the teevee about the uppity ******s and filthy hippies.

Yeah what he said.......did you get a snowglobe Buzz darling? I think a Death Valley one would look nice on the mantle....

Buzglyd 01-18-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 272538)
Yeah what he said.......did you get a snowglobe Buzz darling? I think a Death Valley one would look nice on the mantle....

I'm in the jury lounge. I'll see if they have a gift shop.

schizuki 01-18-2012 10:48 AM

I guess math is really, really hard.