Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Triumph America Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19970-2012-triumph-america-review.html)

Administrator 01-05-2012 08:18 AM

2012 Triumph America Review

Original Article:
2012 Triumph America Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Triumph America Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pushrod 01-05-2012 12:30 PM

Nice bikes. However, their location 'under the radar' will keep them from being a big seller.

As noted in the article, the America has always been a solid bike, but cruiser shoppers will want more cc's and more noise. Not for any defendable reason, but there you go.

sarnali2 01-06-2012 07:00 AM

I prefer the Speedmaster version of the cruiser line-up, basically the same bike but IMO a more distinct look. One beef I have with the two and the Scrambler is the 270* firing order. Edwin Turner (My the Gods Praise his name) decreed a 360* firing order for Brit twins....who do these blasphemers....these johnny come lately heathens think they are to alter that?...it's Sacrilege! they should all be dunked in warm salt water and feed to the crabs.

trenttheuncatchable 01-06-2012 07:57 AM

One of the primary differences between the America and the Speedmaster was the dual front calipers. I don't understand why they went back to a single front caliper on the Speedmaster (except for cost savings).

sarnali2 01-06-2012 09:12 AM

Cost savings was probably it. Stupid move IMO, the Speedy is supposed to be the Hot Rod version, what screams performance more than honking big double disc brakes as in "it's so fast it needs TWICE the braking power"......

The Spaceman 01-06-2012 09:52 AM

Of this lineup my favorite is the Thruxton. A guy I ride with occasionally has one that he's put all sorts of goodies on. It's pretty quick, and actually looks like the real deal. It helps that he can ride the wheels off it; he can corner that thing faster than any of the rest of us.

schizuki 01-06-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 272395)
Of this lineup my favorite is the Thruxton.

Ditto. When Triumph trades on their heritage, it works. When they try to trade on Harley's... err, not so much.

sarnali2 01-06-2012 12:24 PM

I had a Thruxton for a short time and enjoyed the sheet out of it, really fun bike. kinda' cramped though for someone as well marbled as myself.

seruzawa 01-06-2012 07:23 PM

A map and a pipe will put the Bonnie into near 70hp. When you figure the weight differential it's as powerful as most of the biggest cruisers and can corner rings around them. But it's not a fat pig of a V-Twin so you don't "fit in" with the cruiser crowd. Too bad.

Larry 01-17-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 272393)
Cost savings was probably it. Stupid move IMO, the Speedy is supposed to be the Hot Rod version, what screams performance more than honking big double disc brakes as in "it's so fast it needs TWICE the braking power"......

What really limits front braking is how much traction the front tire has, so the only actual advantage to dual discs is resistance to fade after repeated hard braking.