Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Honda CBR1000RR Review [Video] (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19943-2012-honda-cbr1000rr-review-video.html)

Administrator 12-19-2011 03:10 PM

2012 Honda CBR1000RR Review [Video]

Original Article:
2012 Honda CBR1000RR Review [Video]

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Honda CBR1000RR Review [Video] in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The Spaceman 12-20-2011 08:53 AM

"the additional weight comes almost entirely from the hub sections, thereby minimizing its effect on rotational inertia."

Interesting that Honda thought they needed to add material to their hubs. Buell's latest bike eliminates the hubs entirely. It looks weird as hell, but Eric says their stress analysis showed the hubs were "dead weight."

Big Piston Fork? Isn't that a Kawi thing?

Buzglyd 12-20-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 272172)
"the additional weight comes almost entirely from the hub sections, thereby minimizing its effect on rotational inertia."

Interesting that Honda thought they needed to add material to their hubs. Buell's latest bike eliminates the hubs entirely. It looks weird as hell, but Eric says their stress analysis showed the hubs were "dead weight."

Beefy Big Piston Fork is a Kawi thing!

The Spaceman 12-20-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 272174)
Beefy Big Piston Fork is a Kawi thing!

You'd think Honda would be loathe to do anything Kawi originated several years ago. It must be a really hot setup.

Big Piston Forks | Ash On Bikes

mamisano 12-20-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Right, you can have a hubless Buell for a mere $40k

The Spaceman 12-20-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamisano (Post 272180)
Right, you can have a hubless Buell for a mere $40k

Pfft. I make that on weekly interest income on my checking account.

Pesky 99%'er.

Kevin_Duke 12-20-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the Buell wheel design ethos is distinctly different. As for the BPF, it's a Showa thing - up for grabs to anyone who wants to use it, like Suzuki on its Gixxers.

sarnali2 12-20-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 272182)
Pfft. I make that on weekly interest income on my checking account.

Pesky 99%'er.

Throw another peasant on the fire Ken, it's chilly in here....

jmdonald 12-20-2011 05:56 PM

Like a Dog to its vomit

At my advanced age I am still drawn to a great sportbike. As much as I like this bike (the usable torque on the street appeal) looking at the other offerings the BMW S1000R at $15050.00 with ABS and DTC might be the better buy.Aside from that it is a beautiful machine.

Kevin_Duke 12-20-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 272187)
At my advanced age I am still drawn to a great sportbike. As much as I like this bike (the usable torque on the street appeal) looking at the other offerings the BMW S1000R at $15050.00 with ABS and DTC might be the better buy.Aside from that it is a beautiful machine.

The CBR is still near the top of my literbike list. It's the lightest 1Kfour-cylinder and its midrange power is the class of the field. http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/ga..._itemId=233899