Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #21
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
They can wave all they want but I never wave back.
Baaaaahaaa,...classic!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #22
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I have to say when the Spyders first arrived I thought "WOW" that sure is a lot of money to waste on a product that no one's going to want?

People would come in and I would talk about it for hours with no real customer intrest to buy. Well I did that for a year and a half and sold maybe one. Now I sell about two a month and its amazing how much its taken off, I would have never have thought.

Although a few of my customers have issues with an impairment most of them are not handicap and are just too scared to ride a real motorcycle. Its comical when they get some experience and start acting like bikers. More power to them, it gives us a larger demograph of riders no matter how many wheels are under you.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #23
bbtowns
Founding Member

A friend bet me he could beat my Ducati down a twisty road. He couldn't, but it was closer than I expected. He would simply charge into corners at speeds well above what would work, and the bike seemed to both brake for him and modulate power as the article mentioned, allowing him to get through the corner, though a bit slow exiting the corner afterwards. I rode it after our impromptu race, but just didn't have the balls to ride it full speed into a corner to see it do it's thing. As a non Can-Am customer, it seems it dumbs things down a bit more than I'd prefer, but lot's seem to love it.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #24
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Its been argued on this site that advancments in motorcycle technology such as items like steering dampners, slipper clutches, and other sportbike goodies are for saving the rider from him or herself.

Imo those items are for racing not saving a street rider from themselves but the Can Am now that has features that will save a rider from their mistakes. Doc.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #25
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

A friend of mine who's 70 this year has an RS and rides the wheels off it. After taking a few tumbles on street bikes he figured screw it and bought one. I personally think it's a viable alternative to a bike and even a fun ride just because, I'd ride one in a minute with the added advantage of being a cool winter ride when you don't want to worry about black ice. A set of heated grips and some snow tires and you'd be good to go!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
A friend of mine who's 70 this year has an RS and rides the wheels off it. After taking a few tumbles on street bikes he figured screw it and bought one. I personally think it's a viable alternative to a bike and even a fun ride just because, I'd ride one in a minute with the added advantage of being a cool winter ride when you don't want to worry about black ice. A set of heated grips and some snow tires and you'd be good to go!
If people like them, fine. But when they try to compare them to motorcycles it's really apples and oranges. A Spyder isn't superior to a motorcycle or inferior to a motorcycle. Any more than a car or a bus is.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #27
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
If people like them, fine. But when they try to compare them to motorcycles it's really apples and oranges. A Spyder isn't superior to a motorcycle or inferior to a motorcycle. Any more than a car or a bus is.
A Spyder certainly isn't a motorcycle, but it's also certainly not a car. It's an option. Not for me, but an option. Options are good.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #28
sliphorn
Registered Member

By comparison, I guess maxi scooters ain't so bad, eh? At least you're two wheelin' on a maxi.

Kevin, when do you think you guys will get a hold of the new BMW maxi scoots? I'm still looking for a stable mate to my 1050 Sprint.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #29
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

No you can't compare them to a bike but if for some reason you can't ride a proper motorcycle they at least allow you to get your knees in the breeze. I would be happy to ride one myself if I got too old or infirm to ride a bike, it still beats a cage

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #30
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
And it makes you wonder why nobody ever thought of a "street snowmobile" before.

God bless capitalism.
Interestingly, Harley Davidson had almost the exact same configuration as the Spyder designed and built well before Can-Am, and their version DID lean into the turns. I assume given the era it was built, that was necessary because they didn't have the ECU power to manage the thing.

From what I've read, the trike was completely ready for production when HD shelved it.

Harley-Davidson shows off Penster leaning trike prototypes