Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19933-dunlop-sportmax-roadsmart-ii-review.html)

Administrator 12-14-2011 01:12 PM

Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II Review

Original Article:
Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 12-14-2011 10:02 PM

Great Product

Not the usual distillation of manufacturer press publication propaganda. Nice review. The previous four year first ride added alot to the review equation. Having used Dunlop products in the past I can see myself replacing my current Road Pilot IIIs with a set of these. Especially if the price point is right.

Pete_Brissette 12-15-2011 12:27 AM

Cue the sentimental music

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 272062)
Not the usual distillation of manufacturer press publication propaganda. Nice review. The previous four year first ride added alot to the review equation. Having used Dunlop products in the past I can see myself replacing my current Road Pilot IIIs with a set of these. Especially if the price point is right.

You're always such a welcome breath of fresh air around here, jmdonald. :rolleyes:

The Spaceman 12-15-2011 05:05 AM

If they produce a 19" front I'm interested. The dual-compound rear might be the ticket for South Florida's tire-squaring roads.

JM - Your Pilots are the tire of choice for a lot of the LD/ST riders I talk to. Are you unhappy with them?

jmdonald 12-15-2011 07:45 AM

So far so good

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 272064)
If they produce a 19" front I'm interested. The dual-compound rear might be the ticket for South Florida's tire-squaring roads.

JM - Your Pilots are the tire of choice for a lot of the LD/ST riders I talk to. Are you unhappy with them?

I used Dunlops on my roadster and was very happy at the confidence level they gave me but I was not getting very good milage. (Can't remember the model.) The local dealer suggested Pilots for my next change. They were pilot Is and to say the least they were far from the confidence inspiring Tire I was looking for. Went with the IIs next time around and they were much better, My current IIIs are very good and seem to be light years ahead of the Is and IIs. I would recommend them but for spirited canyon riding I still prefer a stickier tire. Another reason I must have multiple bikes. It seems you can't go wrong with the newer multiple compound tires.

Duken4evr 12-15-2011 02:02 PM

Great write up. The photos are worth 1,000 words alone. Nice lean angle on those big bikes. Ageed on the point that riders are tough customers when it comes to this type of tire. We want it all, and we don't want to pay too much either.

Just finishing a set of Pilot 2s on my FZ1. Great tire, worlds better than the Dunlop D207's it came with. Not much of a reference point sure, as the 207s truly sucked, but I really like the Pilot 2s. Neutral handling, supple ride over frost cracks, grip is fine and they lasted 10K miles under my occasionally unkind throttle hand. Front to rear wore pretty evenly too, will replace 'em both, likely with another set of PR2s. Not bad!

sliphorn 12-15-2011 05:07 PM

Nice write up, thanks. Bottom pic is a Sprint GT not ST.

sliphorn 12-15-2011 05:15 PM

Actually, the bottom two pics are a Sprint GT. There's so many good tire choices out there these days that it can be a little tough to decide which way to go.

I'm currently running a set of Pirelli Angel ST's on my Triumph Sprint ST and couldn't be happier. Outstanding grip wet or dry. And they do a good job of soaking up pavement irregularities too.