Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Lighting Solutions

Well, I'm looking to improve the lighting on the ol Tiger. I've looked at the round Hella lights that mount near the fairing and those LEDs that mount down on the front wheel. Anyone have any experience?

All I've done so far is install those slightly more expensive (~$20 each) Sylvania halogens and they are a lot better than stock bulbs. I've also thought about those super bright ones, but at $50 apiece I'm reluctant to spend the $ if they aren't substantially better.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I've also thought about those super bright ones, but at $50 apiece I'm reluctant to spend the $ if they aren't substantially better.
What "super bright" ones, exactly ?

LEDs generally are not good for adding useful light but for "accent" or visibility purposes.......unless you get ones that are VERY expensive.

Then you have to be careful not to exceed the charging system capacity. Except for land yachts, that probably means not adding more than 100-120 watts total load.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
What "super bright" ones, exactly ?

LEDs generally are not good for adding useful light but for "accent" or visibility purposes.......unless you get ones that are VERY expensive.

Then you have to be careful not to exceed the charging system capacity. Except for land yachts, that probably means not adding more than 100-120 watts total load.
PIAA lights.

I already know about alternator loading.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
PIAA lights.
My understanding is they are not noticeably brighter than the Silverstars.......but do tend to last longer for most people.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Seru,

It seems most Triumph guys replace the OEM bulbs with the Silverstar bulbs and then mount the auxiliary lights on the fork, just below the lower tree.

I don't know if it's an issue with your bike, but you should consider the heat generated by some of the super-bright bulbs. Some of them can damage the headlamp housing.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
The Spaceman
Registered Member

The problem with Silverstars, in my experience, is that they fail rather quickly. I tried at least 2 sets of H-4s from them with that result. However, Phillips makes a motorcycle-specific H-4 that you can get at Cycle Gear for under $40 a pair. The set I have have lasted about 18 months so far, well over 2X as long as the Silverstars. They're called "extreme blue" but they're white.
CrystalVision Extreme Blue Light Bulbs

My other suggestion is a headlight relay kit. Most bikes don't use relays and all the current goes through the small handlebar switches. With a relay kit you get a nice fat 14/16 gauge harness that feeds the relays and then the bulbs directly from the battery, all the bike harness does is trigger the Hi/Lo and on/off. Not only do you get a much brighter beam, but on many bikes you extend the service life of the handlebar and ignition switchgear.
Motorcycle H4 Relay Kits, cheap Worldwide Shipping