Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 vs. 2011 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC [Video] (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19909-2012-yamaha-yzf-r1-vs-2011-aprilia-rsv4-r-aprc-video.html)

Administrator 12-02-2011 03:20 AM

2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 vs. 2011 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC [Video]

Original Article:
2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 vs. 2011 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC [Video]

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 vs. 2011 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC [Video] in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

ShamanWS6 12-02-2011 08:27 AM

I liked the article but I have to say, having ridden them both quite a bit that there is more to this discussion than was offered here. I give you a few things:

1. The RSV4 will eat most of those "higher powered" litre bikes in the hands of your average rider. Its midrange shove and overall package make it feel like going fast is what it desperately wants, not like something it will do if you force it.

2. Having done a number of roll-on tests with other modern bikes, the RSV4 will jump 15 feet on a (Canadian) 2011 ZX-10R instantly and it takes 170mph before the ZX-10R can claw back into a lead. How many tracks will you go 170mph on, or for that matter how many times on the street? Oddly enough the R1 gives it more of a hassle.

3. The bike just feels so damned alive when you're on it. It feels more like a race bike than my race bikes. I have two, one of them is an ex-pro 1000cc Superbike and it feels soft compared (mind you, at full throttle on U4.4 fuel it's not a good comparison).

4. The brakes on the RSV4 are vicious. And in a good way, like a Ducati for example. So strong and so well modulated.

5. The attack stance in the seat is so natural for fast riding (see #1) that a rider feels confident. Confidence is what makes for quick riding. The R1 is the only one of the liter crowd that approaches the front end confidence of the RSV4. My GSX-Rs (3 of them) don't compare, they'll do the job but you have to have trust. With the RSV4, you don't need the trust - it lets you know that it's solid and will do what you ask.

The bike just feels so damned special. I've been riding bikes for 30 years and I have six right now (none of them a RSV4, unfortunately). I ride bikes for the excitement and the feeling of being somehow special, and Aprilia's best delivers those in big, heaping spoonfuls.

That said, the snatchy R1 throttle and the stupid heat out of those exhausts have turned me off the bike entirely. I know the front end feels good (first thing I noticed) but the rest of the bike from looks to function just turn me off. I'd like to try one on the track, maybe I'd like it better... but you don't see them winning any superstock events.

Kevin_Duke 12-02-2011 03:36 PM

Great post! Congrats on getting to ride and race so much. It's a wonderful time to be a sportbike fan. We should note, however, the R1 seems to do just fine in Superbike racing.

Duken4evr 12-02-2011 07:17 PM

Would probably have to fold my 33" inseam up like a jacknife and be in agony inside 40 miles, but the Aprilia gets my vote for the reasons so well articulated by ShamanWS6. On the other hand, my rides are all street based, and the Yam is more practical there. Probably more durable too, in the long haul. Anecdotally, the Yam motors are particularly bulletproof.

The best solution I suppose is to have both. A Japanese supersport for the knockabout grind of street duty and a track prepped RSV4 for track days and garage gazing. Really like the RSV4 - the sound and feel of a real deal sporting V4 excites greatly. Sporting twins are cool, but V4s, well, they are just better :D

My pick of the Japanese liter class sport bikes would probaby be the Honda, for it's excellent street demeanor and midrange focused power and "friendly" nature, if a rip your arms off liter class sport bike can be thought of that way.

That would rock. Problem solved, two bikes (or more, never can have too many can you?) is the answer. As usual, all it takes to reach enlightened happiness is gobs of money...

The Spaceman 12-03-2011 12:45 PM

The integrated graphics in the video were really cool. Nice going.

I'll never stop liking underseat exhausts. My superbike benchmark is the 916, which was the first bike I ever saw with them. MV Augusta perfected the look with their F4's quartet of pipes.
Redirect Notice
Redirect Notice

It probably won't be long before Yamaha ditches them like everybody else for a big can under the engine, but I'll sure miss them when they're gone.

Kevin_Duke 12-03-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 271898)
The integrated graphics in the video were really cool. Nice going.

I'll never stop liking underseat exhausts. My superbike benchmark is the 916, which was the first bike I ever saw with them. MV Augusta perfected the look with their F4's quartet of pipes.

It probably won't be long before Yamaha ditches them like everybody else for a big can under the engine, but I'll sure miss them when they're gone.

And then you'll miss being referred to as "hot ass."