Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Convertibars Adjustable Handlebar Review

Original Article:
Convertibars Adjustable Handlebar Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Convertibars Adjustable Handlebar Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I looked into these (Convertibars) as well as Helibars for my '06 ZX10R. The problem with the Convertibars is that they still don't have a bike-specific kit for my bike. And they and the Helibars are a bit expensive.

So I ordered a 3" (adjustable) Apex riser kit from SportBikeTrackGear. It was priced at $219. They also have a 4" riser kit for $279. I'll get them installed this coming spring.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Great article; I always enjoy a good DIY / accessory installation story. Some questions though:

What is a "cyclops" clamp?

You mentioned some bikes may "require the removal of the upper triple clamp." Huh? How does that work?

Has your friend considered a set of apehangers? They'll take all the strain off his wrists, and move it to his shoulders and back where it belongs.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I put a set of Gen Mar's on my Trophy and I have Touratech risers on the PzKw, that aditional inch or so makes a big difference (ahem). I usually buy bikes with tube handlebars anyway so it's easier than having to deal with clip-ons.

I have a standard formula for getting my bikes comfy, seat first then pegs then bars, the trick is to buy bikes where aftermarket adjustable pegs and bars are available. Once you have the seat dialed in then it's just a matter of bringing the bars up to your natural position and the pegs forward or down to get your legs at the proper angle. Then it's a few Vicodin, a shot of whiskey and off you go, you can ride all day without any back, wrist or knee pain.

Works everytime.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Ahh, the old Vicodin and alcohol days... Try Ibuprophen sometime; the stuff works miracles for me.

I like "tube" bars too. The hot setup on the VStoms is the ProTaper ATV High bars. They're close to the OEM, but a little bit taller, back just a bit, and much more rigid with a nice cross-bar.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Ahh, the old Vicodin and alcohol days... Try Ibuprophen sometime; the stuff works miracles for me.

I like "tube" bars too. The hot setup on the VStoms is the ProTaper ATV High bars. They're close to the OEM, but a little bit taller, back just a bit, and much more rigid with a nice cross-bar.
Do they have a secret stash holder for the Vicodin?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Do they have a secret stash holder for the Vicodin?

It's in the crancase, next to the meth......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
It's in the crancase, next to the meth......
I used to keep mine in a Popey Pez dispenser.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Tom Roderick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Great article; I always enjoy a good DIY / accessory installation story. Some questions though:

What is a "cyclops" clamp?

You mentioned some bikes may "require the removal of the upper triple clamp." Huh? How does that work?

Has your friend considered a set of apehangers? They'll take all the strain off his wrists, and move it to his shoulders and back where it belongs.
The "cyclops clamp" is the name Convertibars uses to describe the clamp that attaches to the fork tubes and holds the handlebar risers, which, in turn, hold the handlebars. They are the two clamps at the bottom of first image of the story.

For sport bikes with stock clip-ons positioned below the triple clamp, you must remove the triple clamp and stock clip-ons, then attach the Convertibars' cyclops clamps in the same position as the stock clip-ons.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roderick View Post
The "cyclops clamp" is the name Convertibars uses to describe the clamp that attaches to the fork tubes and holds the handlebar risers, which, in turn, hold the handlebars. They are the two clamps at the bottom of first image of the story.

For sport bikes with stock clip-ons positioned below the triple clamp, you must remove the triple clamp and stock clip-ons, then attach the Convertibars' cyclops clamps in the same position as the stock clip-ons.
Kenneth was recalling his old B&D days when a "cyclops clamp" meant something different entirely.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote