Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Convertibars Adjustable Handlebar Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19904-convertibars-adjustable-handlebar-review.html)

Administrator 11-29-2011 03:00 PM

Convertibars Adjustable Handlebar Review

Original Article:
Convertibars Adjustable Handlebar Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Convertibars Adjustable Handlebar Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

trenttheuncatchable 11-29-2011 04:15 PM

I looked into these (Convertibars) as well as Helibars for my '06 ZX10R. The problem with the Convertibars is that they still don't have a bike-specific kit for my bike. And they and the Helibars are a bit expensive.

So I ordered a 3" (adjustable) Apex riser kit from SportBikeTrackGear. It was priced at $219. They also have a 4" riser kit for $279. I'll get them installed this coming spring.

The Spaceman 11-30-2011 05:09 AM

Great article; I always enjoy a good DIY / accessory installation story. Some questions though:

What is a "cyclops" clamp?

You mentioned some bikes may "require the removal of the upper triple clamp." Huh? How does that work?

Has your friend considered a set of apehangers? They'll take all the strain off his wrists, and move it to his shoulders and back where it belongs.

sarnali2 11-30-2011 07:19 AM

I put a set of Gen Mar's on my Trophy and I have Touratech risers on the PzKw, that aditional inch or so makes a big difference (ahem). I usually buy bikes with tube handlebars anyway so it's easier than having to deal with clip-ons.

I have a standard formula for getting my bikes comfy, seat first then pegs then bars, the trick is to buy bikes where aftermarket adjustable pegs and bars are available. Once you have the seat dialed in then it's just a matter of bringing the bars up to your natural position and the pegs forward or down to get your legs at the proper angle. Then it's a few Vicodin, a shot of whiskey and off you go, you can ride all day without any back, wrist or knee pain.

Works everytime.....

The Spaceman 12-01-2011 06:50 AM

Ahh, the old Vicodin and alcohol days... Try Ibuprophen sometime; the stuff works miracles for me.

I like "tube" bars too. The hot setup on the VStoms is the ProTaper ATV High bars. They're close to the OEM, but a little bit taller, back just a bit, and much more rigid with a nice cross-bar.

Buzglyd 12-01-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 271832)
Ahh, the old Vicodin and alcohol days... Try Ibuprophen sometime; the stuff works miracles for me.

I like "tube" bars too. The hot setup on the VStoms is the ProTaper ATV High bars. They're close to the OEM, but a little bit taller, back just a bit, and much more rigid with a nice cross-bar.

Do they have a secret stash holder for the Vicodin?

sarnali2 12-01-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 271838)
Do they have a secret stash holder for the Vicodin?

It's in the crancase, next to the meth......

The Spaceman 12-01-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 271842)
It's in the crancase, next to the meth......

I used to keep mine in a Popey Pez dispenser.

Tom Roderick 12-01-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 271817)
Great article; I always enjoy a good DIY / accessory installation story. Some questions though:

What is a "cyclops" clamp?

You mentioned some bikes may "require the removal of the upper triple clamp." Huh? How does that work?

Has your friend considered a set of apehangers? They'll take all the strain off his wrists, and move it to his shoulders and back where it belongs.

The "cyclops clamp" is the name Convertibars uses to describe the clamp that attaches to the fork tubes and holds the handlebar risers, which, in turn, hold the handlebars. They are the two clamps at the bottom of first image of the story.

For sport bikes with stock clip-ons positioned below the triple clamp, you must remove the triple clamp and stock clip-ons, then attach the Convertibars' cyclops clamps in the same position as the stock clip-ons.

Buzglyd 12-01-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roderick (Post 271847)
The "cyclops clamp" is the name Convertibars uses to describe the clamp that attaches to the fork tubes and holds the handlebar risers, which, in turn, hold the handlebars. They are the two clamps at the bottom of first image of the story.

For sport bikes with stock clip-ons positioned below the triple clamp, you must remove the triple clamp and stock clip-ons, then attach the Convertibars' cyclops clamps in the same position as the stock clip-ons.

Kenneth was recalling his old B&D days when a "cyclops clamp" meant something different entirely.