Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Review: First Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19778-2012-suzuki-v-strom-650-abs-review-first-ride.html)

Administrator 11-07-2011 05:10 PM

2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Review: First Ride

Original Article:
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Review: First Ride

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Review: First Ride in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The Spaceman 11-08-2011 07:51 AM

I was going to ask where you were riding when those beautiful photos were taken, but then I saw the photos were courtesy of Suzuki!

Did you get to see the "Touring" version of the bike in person? It looks like an excellent deal compared to buying all the parts individually. Although adding your own accessories is a lot of fun...

seruzawa 11-08-2011 07:59 AM

I guess you didn't get a chance to run the slab. The older 650 has an annoying buzz at Interstate speeds. Did you notice anything like this on the new one?

I still think it should be bumped to 750-800cc. Might make two up touring more relaxed. In any case it's a solid deal no matter how you look at it. And after riding the Tiger1050 I'd find it very very difficult to give up ABS.

Tom Roderick 11-08-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 269553)
I was going to ask where you were riding when those beautiful photos were taken, but then I saw the photos were courtesy of Suzuki!

Did you get to see the "Touring" version of the bike in person? It looks like an excellent deal compared to buying all the parts individually. Although adding your own accessories is a lot of fun...

Those are photos of me, taken by Suzuki, in the Blue Ridge mountains last week.

Are you referring the Adventure model? It is the only V-STrom that comes equipped from the factory with touring accessories for a discounted price. The "Touring" name is only associated with the side cases and top box constructed of composite material. Those are purchased individually from the dealer.

Tom Roderick 11-08-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 269554)
I guess you didn't get a chance to run the slab. The older 650 has an annoying buzz at Interstate speeds. Did you notice anything like this on the new one?

I still think it should be bumped to 750-800cc. Might make two up touring more relaxed. In any case it's a solid deal no matter how you look at it. And after riding the Tiger1050 I'd find it very very difficult to give up ABS.

They've done some work to engine that (because of time constraints) I failed to mention in the story. The engine was made quieter by way of a double-layer clutch cover.

I didn't notice any annoying noises during the entire trip. In fact, most journalists in attendance commented on the quietness of the engine.

The Spaceman 11-08-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roderick (Post 269555)
Those are photos of me, taken by Suzuki, in the Blue Ridge mountains last week.

Are you referring the Adventure model? It is the only V-STrom that comes equipped from the factory with touring accessories for a discounted price. The "Touring" name is only associated with the side cases and top box constructed of composite material. Those are purchased individually from the dealer.

Oh so it was you! Cool, that looks like paradise on two wheels! Here in Florida, the only colors that change in Fall are the license plates.

I guess I mixed my model names, thanks for clearing that up. The aluminium cases look very "Adventurous," but damn they are BIG. I'd like to see the new frames you mentioned. Maybe Riva will get an Adventure model; if not, there's bound to be one up at Daytona next March.

Tom Roderick 11-08-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 269561)
Oh so it was you! Cool, that looks like paradise on two wheels! Here in Florida, the only colors that change in Fall are the license plates.

I guess I mixed my model names, thanks for clearing that up. The aluminium cases look very "Adventurous," but damn they are BIG. I'd like to see the new frames you mentioned. Maybe Riva will get an Adventure model; if not, there's bound to be one up at Daytona next March.

Riding in the Blue Ridge Mountains this time of year was brisk at times, but a welcome change to California's temperate climate and our palm trees that don't change colors nor shed their fronds).

The aluminum cases are little more expensive, but I preferred their construction and the fact that the cases open from the top instead of from the side like the composite cases. This is much better design for keeping things inside the cases dry.

Dr_Sprocket 11-08-2011 02:54 PM

I'm reluctant to say it but the updates from Suzuki, along with this review, actually make me want to consider this bike as a replacement to my old Ulysses.

Mollygrubber 11-11-2011 11:21 PM

Are those aluminum cases the "Trax" cases from SW Motech? They sure look similar...

Nice bike, definitely a consideration when the time comes.

seruzawa 11-12-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roderick (Post 269558)
They've done some work to engine that (because of time constraints) I failed to mention in the story. The engine was made quieter by way of a double-layer clutch cover.

I didn't notice any annoying noises during the entire trip. In fact, most journalists in attendance commented on the quietness of the engine.

By a buzz I meant an annoying vibration rather than a noise.