Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 3
Default Shorai LFX Lithium Battery Review


Original Article:
Shorai LFX Lithium Battery Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Shorai LFX Lithium Battery Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

As I see it, the only downside over an AGM is the double-to-triple cost. But then, if the battery lasts at least that-much longer, it could deffo be considered "worth" the cost, especially if it does not care one way or another for your Battery Tender.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
As I see it, the only downside over an AGM is the double-to-triple cost. But then, if the battery lasts at least that-much longer, it could deffo be considered "worth" the cost, especially if it does not care one way or another for your Battery Tender.
Yeah, it's definitely an upgrade, especially for a cranky old engine like mine. And it's worth noting that this technology will either advance and cost the same or simply offer reduced pricing as supply meets demand.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

My old Ulysses has always been a bit slow to start. At least I did get four years out of the OEM battery. Nevertheless, it was always slow to start, even from the dealer. Perhaps a Shorai would be a worthy upgrade to the old gal.
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
My old Ulysses has always been a bit slow to start. At least I did get four years out of the OEM battery. Nevertheless, it was always slow to start, even from the dealer. Perhaps a Shorai would be a worthy upgrade to the old gal.
My experience with the LFX says it'll be worth it. If you pull the trigger, let us know what you think!
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Probably a good idea if you have cranking issues, are planning on keeping the bike several years or think that saving a few pounds will make you faster.

And there's no chance of an acid leak.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
As I see it, the only downside over an AGM is the double-to-triple cost.
"Shorai says the LFX can hold a charge for an entire year without maintenance, thanks to a much lower self-discharge rate than normal batteries. And it purportedly has a service life two to four times that of a lead-acid battery. "

And that's a significant downside as I see it because a good AGM can easily go 6 months without a tender and lasts 2X (or more) longer too.

Unless you need the extra cranking power or can use the extra space you gain.......or just have to have the latest and greatest......I don't think it's worth the price which is nearly double that of an AGM.
__________________
'11 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 C
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
"Shorai says the LFX can hold a charge for an entire year without maintenance, thanks to a much lower self-discharge rate than normal batteries. And it purportedly has a service life two to four times that of a lead-acid battery. "

And that's a significant downside as I see it because a good AGM can easily go 6 months without a tender and lasts 2X (or more) longer too.

Unless you need the extra cranking power or can use the extra space you gain.......or just have to have the latest and greatest......I don't think it's worth the price which is nearly double that of an AGM.
I've never seen a moto-battery hold its charge (full charge - not sayin' they're "dead") for more than a few months, tops. Then again, most of the motos I've had used quite-small batteries. Even an AGM is still a lead-acid battery: it merely has the acid contained within a matrix.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Where were these when I had the '77 Shovelhead? Between the heat, vibration, and heavy drain to crank, that bike ate batteries like I eat potato chips. Getting a year out of even a top-quality sealed glass mat battery was good.

The Suzuki, on the other hand, went 4 years on the OEM...
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,993
Default

I've always gotten atleast 3 years out of my batteries. These are hitting the race scene heavy within the past two years or so.
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off