Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Shorai LFX Lithium Battery Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19701-shorai-lfx-lithium-battery-review.html)

Administrator 11-01-2011 01:52 PM

Shorai LFX Lithium Battery Review

Original Article:
Shorai LFX Lithium Battery Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Shorai LFX Lithium Battery Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The_AirHawk 11-01-2011 03:18 PM

As I see it, the only downside over an AGM is the double-to-triple cost. But then, if the battery lasts at least that-much longer, it could deffo be considered "worth" the cost, especially if it does not care one way or another for your Battery Tender.

Kevin_Duke 11-01-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 269006)
As I see it, the only downside over an AGM is the double-to-triple cost. But then, if the battery lasts at least that-much longer, it could deffo be considered "worth" the cost, especially if it does not care one way or another for your Battery Tender.

Yeah, it's definitely an upgrade, especially for a cranky old engine like mine. And it's worth noting that this technology will either advance and cost the same or simply offer reduced pricing as supply meets demand.

Dr_Sprocket 11-01-2011 08:04 PM

My old Ulysses has always been a bit slow to start. At least I did get four years out of the OEM battery. Nevertheless, it was always slow to start, even from the dealer. Perhaps a Shorai would be a worthy upgrade to the old gal.

Kevin_Duke 11-01-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 269028)
My old Ulysses has always been a bit slow to start. At least I did get four years out of the OEM battery. Nevertheless, it was always slow to start, even from the dealer. Perhaps a Shorai would be a worthy upgrade to the old gal.

My experience with the LFX says it'll be worth it. If you pull the trigger, let us know what you think!

seruzawa 11-02-2011 08:14 AM

Probably a good idea if you have cranking issues, are planning on keeping the bike several years or think that saving a few pounds will make you faster.

And there's no chance of an acid leak.

Easy Rider 2 11-02-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 269006)
As I see it, the only downside over an AGM is the double-to-triple cost.

"Shorai says the LFX can hold a charge for an entire year without maintenance, thanks to a much lower self-discharge rate than normal batteries. And it purportedly has a service life two to four times that of a lead-acid battery. "

And that's a significant downside as I see it because a good AGM can easily go 6 months without a tender and lasts 2X (or more) longer too.

Unless you need the extra cranking power or can use the extra space you gain.......or just have to have the latest and greatest......I don't think it's worth the price which is nearly double that of an AGM.

The_AirHawk 11-02-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 269087)
"Shorai says the LFX can hold a charge for an entire year without maintenance, thanks to a much lower self-discharge rate than normal batteries. And it purportedly has a service life two to four times that of a lead-acid battery. "

And that's a significant downside as I see it because a good AGM can easily go 6 months without a tender and lasts 2X (or more) longer too.

Unless you need the extra cranking power or can use the extra space you gain.......or just have to have the latest and greatest......I don't think it's worth the price which is nearly double that of an AGM.

I've never seen a moto-battery hold its charge (full charge - not sayin' they're "dead") for more than a few months, tops. Then again, most of the motos I've had used quite-small batteries. Even an AGM is still a lead-acid battery: it merely has the acid contained within a matrix.

The Spaceman 11-02-2011 12:43 PM

Where were these when I had the '77 Shovelhead? Between the heat, vibration, and heavy drain to crank, that bike ate batteries like I eat potato chips. Getting a year out of even a top-quality sealed glass mat battery was good.

The Suzuki, on the other hand, went 4 years on the OEM...

MOKE1K 11-02-2011 01:52 PM

I've always gotten atleast 3 years out of my batteries. These are hitting the race scene heavy within the past two years or so.