Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Well, I broke down and bought the 18AH Shoprai for my Tiger. The stock battery is 12AH and only lasts maybe two years. Idling the bike in traffic with the fan on is hard on the battery. The Shorai cranks faster than the stock lead battery. The weight difference is not noticeable. We'll see how it holds up.
Good luck with it, and let us know how it does for you.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
pushrod
Founding Member

Seru,

Do you keep the bike on a Battery Tender/cTek/etc. when you're not riding? My first battery lasted forever (like, five years!).
I've a MotoBatt in it now. And I keep it on a cTek US800 when I'm not burning dinosaurs. Well, not directly.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #23
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I've a MotoBatt in it now. And I keep it on a cTek US800 when I'm not burning dinosaurs.
While that won't hurt anything, it probably is totally unnecessary......unless you go a LONG time between rides.

Even a cheap conventional battery doesn't need a tender for the first couple of years of it's life.......and an AGM almost never needs one......if the bike is ridden regularly.

All that assumes a properly working charging system. If the charging system is NOT working correctly, keeping it on a tender will almost guarantee that you run out of juice FAR away from home.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #24
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
While that won't hurt anything, it probably is totally unnecessary......unless you go a LONG time between rides.
Agreed. Unless you're mothballing the bike for Winter, or only riding once a month, the trickle charger is unnecessary IMO. Even the Shovelhead's batteries would last 3 years with regular riding; the Suzuki's went almost 4. My car's OEM battery only lasted 2.5!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #25
PJFZ1
Registered Member

Be cautious about the lithium batteries that require a specific tender to balance the cells - these batteries aren't balanced when run in your bike and can have some issues. There are better batteries out there that have onboard battery management systems built into them and will work with any charger. Those are a mcuh better choice for longer life.
PJFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote