Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
I've always gotten atleast 3 years out of my batteries. These are hitting the race scene heavy within the past two years or so.
I've gotten as much as 5-years from a typical Lead-Acid: but that was with the battery on a tender when I wasn't riding. The thing I'm thinkin' might be the "plus" here is; long life WITHOUT the need for a tender (or minimal use, such as long-term Winter storage).

Like I said above, I've never seen a Lead-Acid moto-battery go more than a few months without losing a considerable-amount of its charge (without a tender).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I've never seen a moto-battery hold its charge (full charge - not sayin' they're "dead") for more than a few months, tops.
I don't know exactly why the difference, scientifically, but I quite assure you that a fully charged AGM does NOT self-discharge nearly as fast as a conventional lead-acid variety. It's about 1/4 the rate I think.

Last winter my tender when connected after the bike sat for 3 months, reported a full charge after being connected about 10 seconds. 3 months later, same result.

I can't bring myself to trust it though; will connect some kind of a charger at least every 3 months just to be sure.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
bbtowns
Founding Member

Just had to throw my thumbs up in. I had been through 2 batteries in my Duc ST4s, and still had problems. The thing wouldn't spin fast enough when it was cold to start, my 14 mile commute wasn't long enough to charge the battery fully meaning it spent every night on a trickle charger. Finally I broke down and bought a Shorai. Right out of the box they are insanely light, in fact I thought they'd forgot to pack a battery at first, it just feels like an empty box. Once installed the Duc spins and starts fast, and the batter somehow gets fully charged on my commute now. Even more amazing, I could feel the weight loss. I don't recall any upgrades I've done where the weight loss was that dramatic, even replacing the cans wasn't as noticeable. It's been about 9 months now, still very happy, and the bike still spins up fast, even after sitting around for a couple of weeks and being started at 35°. Nope, I don't work for them. Give it a try.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
Just had to throw my thumbs up in. I had been through 2 batteries in my Duc ST4s, and still had problems. The thing wouldn't spin fast enough when it was cold to start, my 14 mile commute wasn't long enough to charge the battery fully meaning it spent every night on a trickle charger. Finally I broke down and bought a Shorai. Right out of the box they are insanely light, in fact I thought they'd forgot to pack a battery at first, it just feels like an empty box. Once installed the Duc spins and starts fast, and the batter somehow gets fully charged on my commute now. Even more amazing, I could feel the weight loss. I don't recall any upgrades I've done where the weight loss was that dramatic, even replacing the cans wasn't as noticeable. It's been about 9 months now, still very happy, and the bike still spins up fast, even after sitting around for a couple of weeks and being started at 35°. Nope, I don't work for them. Give it a try.
Glad to hear your experience was the same as mine!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
pxg
Founding Member

Default Not trying hard enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Original Article:
Shorai LFX Lithium Battery Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Shorai LFX Lithium Battery Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Sorry guys, you said that the battery article wasn't sexy enough. Alright, where was Britney when you were doing this. Probably at home watching day time tv and waiting for a call. Need to try harder next time. Pick up the phone.... Good article though (I'm pretty sad I know)
pxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

I just bought one for my Electra Glide...the biggest one they make (LFX 36). It was $315 delivered to my military APO mailbox in Korea (using Prioity Mail). A quality AGM battery from the US will cost me about $270 shipped due to the high weight (and must be shiped Parcel Post due to weight...takes 4-6 weeks for delivery). If I buy a battery locally (from the Harley dealer) it's nearly $400, so the Shorai turns out to be competitively priced.

Last time I bought a battery I ordered a cheap AGM from the US...it was $170 shipped, and I got less than a year out of it before it died. My previous AGM from H-D lasted 4 years.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentgrayfellow View Post
My previous AGM from H-D lasted 4 years.
Sounds like your situation (even disregarding the price problem), having a big bike with lots of lights and "stuff" is a place where it will shine.

For bikes with lesser electrical requirements, it is not unusual for a good AGM to still be going strong after 7 years.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #18
rsalco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
My experience with the LFX says it'll be worth it. If you pull the trigger, let us know what you think!
Bot one for my FXR with a 113" S&S stroker. Even with the electronic compression-releases my motor has, the Shorai doesn't have the amps to turn it over. When first installed, it worked; after sitting for a couple weeks of rainy weather, nada. Had to use the old AGM battery to boost it to start [which it did immediately]. And I got the larger Shorai recommended by them for big-inch motors.

I had exactly the same experience with another Li-Ion battery previously bot - the vendor gave me a full refund acknowleging that MC Li-Ions don't have the power to deal with large motors unless sized up considerably which defeats the purpose of the technology.

Paradoxically, I had a small automotive Li-Ion in my hot-rod 'Subie STi a few years ago and it worked perfectly, even in our NE winters. Go figure....
rsalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
Duken4evr
Founding Member

These things are great for dirt bikes, which sit for long periods of time and for the weight savings. When the stock AGM battery on my dirt bike ever goes, I will get one of these.

My DRZ 400 had it's OEM AGM Yuasa battery in it for 9 years before it showed signs of weakness, and the FZ1 battery is still going strong after 5 years though, so it may be awhile. My TL1000 battery, which did not have an easy life cranking that big twin, was also still viable at 7 years old when I sold it.

Optimate chargers reliably plugged in 24/7 when not in use and quality Yuasa AGM batteries have proven to be a helluva decent combo in my case.

Last edited by Duken4evr : 11-08-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, I broke down and bought the 18AH Shoprai for my Tiger. The stock battery is 12AH and only lasts maybe two years. Idling the bike in traffic with the fan on is hard on the battery. The Shorai cranks faster than the stock lead battery. The weight difference is not noticeable. We'll see how it holds up.