Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Nice graphic. And you're right. Columbia makes outdoor gear
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapieromateo View Post
hey, Columbia is not a country. Colombia is...

When it comes to making stereotypical discriminative comments you get it right the first time, but when it comes to actual facts, you suck at it...
Well, I'm happy to correct any factual errors. But where are the discriminative comments you claim we made?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
tapieromateo
Registered Member

On the MotoGP sepang preview article.

Thank you for paying attention mr. Duke.
tapieromateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
On the MotoGP sepang preview article.

Thank you for paying attention mr. Duke.
I'm sorry, friend - but I just now re-read that article, looking SPECIFICALLY for anything that could be remotely construed as "discriminatory" to any person with skin thinner than a boot-sole: I could find nothing.

Would you mind pointing-out what troubles you so? As I recall, this is not the first complaint you have "filed" with us on this matter. As to the Colombia/Columbia matter - that is an honest mistake; typos and spelling-errors are a fact of life.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
tapieromateo
Registered Member

Crap, I wrote discriminatory! sorry, meant derogatory. That was my honest mistake, but now I have to live with it. (study makes you write stupid stuff)

Now, to point out, was it really necessary to write the following?:

"BQR – plotting to bring at least one Kawasaki-powered CRT bike featuring Colombian Yonny Hernandez, with perhaps a second rider paying his own way. No word yet on whether the Cali or Medellin cartel is sponsoring."

That type of comments is derogatory. It is already a established stereotype, and there's not much I can do to change the American mindset. But what I can do is help change the situation.

This is also not the first time that this has happened in the website. I remember complaining some time ago about something quite similar (i'll quote it later on) and The_AirHawk was there, reinforcing the stereotype. (on the s1000rr @ the artic circle forum and article Testing BMW's S1000RR at the Arctic Circle)

Also, Apparently for every single American in the world, Columbia and Colombia are the same thing. so i guess i'll just move in to the DC and you tell me if it's the same thing
Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
tapieromateo
Registered Member

I still can't believe I Failed so hard with Derogatory/Discriminatory. I am really sorry about the confusion.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
This is also not the first time that this has happened in the website. I remember complaining some time ago about something quite similar (i'll quote it later on) and The_AirHawk was there, reinforcing the stereotype. (on the s1000rr @ the artic circle forum and article Testing BMW's S1000RR at the Arctic Circle)
Actually, I was there - mocking the stereotype. Subtle but important difference.

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 11-01-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
I still can't believe I Failed so hard with Derogatory/Discriminatory. I am really sorry about the confusion.
That's not a problem, even "Native English-speakers" have trouble with the language - but it DOES make me see what it is you were talking-about.

Derogatory - yes (as in a Pejorative). Discriminatory - no (as in "Get to the back of the Bus, Brown-man").

HOWEVER, that said - you must admit that, the shadow of the Cartel has certainly cast-over Central America/Mexico, and the war to decide which will dominate is ongoing even as we speak (and I'm not referring to the misguided "War on Drugs" Uncle Sam wages).
Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #19
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Crap, I wrote discriminatory! sorry, meant derogatory. That was my honest mistake, but now I have to live with it. (study makes you write stupid stuff)

Now, to point out, was it really necessary to write the following?:

"BQR – plotting to bring at least one Kawasaki-powered CRT bike featuring Colombian Yonny Hernandez, with perhaps a second rider paying his own way. No word yet on whether the Cali or Medellin cartel is sponsoring."

That type of comments is derogatory. It is already a established stereotype, and there's not much I can do to change the American mindset. But what I can do is help change the situation.

Also, Apparently for every single American in the world, Columbia and Colombia are the same thing. so i guess i'll just move in to the DC and you tell me if it's the same thing
You wrote: "BQR – plotting to bring at least one Kawasaki-powered CRT bike featuring Colombian Yonny Hernandez, with perhaps a second rider paying his own way. No word yet on whether the Cali or Medellin cartel is sponsoring."

I don't know who you're quoting. That's not from our article...
Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #20
tapieromateo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
You wrote: "BQR – plotting to bring at least one Kawasaki-powered CRT bike featuring Colombian Yonny Hernandez, with perhaps a second rider paying his own way. No word yet on whether the Cali or Medellin cartel is sponsoring."

I don't know who you're quoting. That's not from our article...
Sturgis Tales Feedback

I Invite you to read, Mr Duke...

That's the MotoGP Sepang previe article.

Last edited by tapieromateo : 11-01-2011 at 09:33 PM.