Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 BMW S1000RR Preview (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19612-2012-bmw-s1000rr-preview.html)

Administrator 10-20-2011 07:55 AM

2012 BMW S1000RR Preview

Original Article:
2012 BMW S1000RR Preview

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 BMW S1000RR Preview in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

bbtowns 10-20-2011 09:07 AM

Likely not enough in WSB

Despite the BMW claiming the most power by a mile among the liter bikes in street form, it didn’t seem to result in WSB victories this year. Haslam and Badovini have had some success with the bike, but they certainly don’t dominate despite having the talent to do so with a bike that dominated in power. Checa, Biaggi, Melandri, and Laverty took ‘em to school. I’m not sure minor changes will make much difference, though years of experience with the bike and chassis might. If I recall the MO test, you guys found it to be somewhat faster on the track than the competition. I guess power isn't everything, Kawasaki is a no show in WSB despite competitive power.

12er 10-20-2011 09:09 AM

Melandri is moving over this year so they are stacking the deck. Should be another great season.

The Spaceman 10-20-2011 10:11 AM

"Power" per se has become meaningless. The only thing that matters now is how well the control systems can manage it. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

BMW is running a special where you can ride an S1000 for 48 months for $199/month, with a $6500 balloon payment at the end of the term. Tempting...very tempting.

sarnali2 10-20-2011 10:46 AM

It's got heated grips, You'll be needing those in Flarida...

The Spaceman 10-20-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 268414)
It's got heated grips, You'll be needing those in Flarida...

Unless it comes with a 48-month prescription for Vicodin, there's no way I can seriously consider one. My RA is too far along to ride a real sportbike.

sarnali2 10-20-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 268418)
Unless it comes with a 48-month prescription for Vicodin, there's no way I can seriously consider one. My RA is too far along to ride a real sportbike.

Yeah, I don't even consider sportbikes anymore myself. I'm way too big and they're way too small. besides that's not the type of riding I do anyway, I just thought it was funny that only BMW would make a full-on sportbike and stick heated grips on it.

12er 10-20-2011 01:49 PM

Them kangaroo gloves are pretty thin, this year's WSB at Miller with a brisk 44 degree high, they probably would of felt pretty good, granted if they were still on the bike...

Dr_Sprocket 10-20-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 268408)
"Power" per se has become meaningless. The only thing that matters now is how well the control systems can manage it. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

BMW is running a special where you can ride an S1000 for 48 months for $199/month, with a $6500 balloon payment at the end of the term. Tempting...very tempting.

Fuggedaboudit! You are way too practical to ever get one of these. Might I recommend a Yamaha TW200? The optional milk crate for a rear trunk would be an awesome accessory!

Kevin_Duke 10-20-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbtowns (Post 268404)
Despite the BMW claiming the most power by a mile among the liter bikes in street form, it didn’t seem to result in WSB victories this year. Haslam and Badovini have had some success with the bike, but they certainly don’t dominate despite having the talent to do so with a bike that dominated in power. Checa, Biaggi, Melandri, and Laverty took ‘em to school. I’m not sure minor changes will make much difference, though years of experience with the bike and chassis might. If I recall the MO test, you guys found it to be somewhat faster on the track than the competition. I guess power isn't everything, Kawasaki is a no show in WSB despite competitive power.

There's a lot more to a fast racebike than just power. And the Kawi actually did quite well in the last few races of the season. A few times there were six different brands qualified in the top six, so the series is obviously competitive.

The new RR is quite impressive to ride - not like an all-new bike impressive, but it's a sweet ride that is more cooperative and obedient than before. The dominant impression from the RR's launch is the enthusiasm of the BMW engineers for sportbikes. Several of them are as fast as fark, and they really care about developing the best sportbike on the market. More later!