Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #21
dovecom
Founding Member

Having ridden the sweet RZ350 and RZ500 (the sound of the butterfly valves when the ignition was turned on alone is worth it), and toured alongside the raw Suzuki RG Gamma 500 and the amazingly sonic Honda NSR400, I can't understand how you couldn't have got enough votes to include one of those fantastic bikes. The NSR400 should be in the all-time most desirable bike hall of fame.
dovecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #22
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Hard to argue with the list but no 2 strokes?

I can think of a certain inline 6 that could make the list as well.
Yeah, we had a discussion about many 2-smokers. Two-cycle dirtbikes were suggested but ruled out because they all sound pretty much the same.

Two-stroke GP were suggested, but one in particular didn't stand out as especially notable in its sound production.

I wanted to add my first streetbike, a Yamaha RZ500 V-Four, but most Americans have never heard it.

Anyway, we knew going in to this topic would inevitably leave out several cool engines (Guzzi V-8 being a notable absentee), but we kept the list to just 10.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #23
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roderick View Post
I've ridden an XR-75 and while the exhaust note is musical, the clatter from the valve-train of the air-cooled triple is kinda obnoxious because the tank/seat juncture above it is so skinny, it doesn't deflect the noise as much as other air-cooled bikes.
Personally, I agree that the whine of the newer Triple is a bit obnoxious. To my ears, the X75 sounds better at lower revs, but the newer one has a cooler howl in its upper register.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #24
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovecom View Post
Having ridden the sweet RZ350 and RZ500 (the sound of the butterfly valves when the ignition was turned on alone is worth it), and toured alongside the raw Suzuki RG Gamma 500 and the amazingly sonic Honda NSR400, I can't understand how you couldn't have got enough votes to include one of those fantastic bikes. The NSR400 should be in the all-time most desirable bike hall of fame.
Funny you reference touring alongside a Gamma. Many moons ago, my friend bought a Gamma in Vancouver when I bought my Duc there, and we toured thru the Western states to Colorado. It's amazing how a GP replica like the Gamma has such accommodating ergos compared to today's sportbikes.

However, I can't agree the sound of an NSR400 comes close to that of a Gamma or RZ500. The three-cylinder Honda, at least with its stock exhaust, produces an odd note not nearly as sweet as its four-cylinder rivals.

Anyway, I dearly miss those bikes! Anyone want to read about me stuffing an RZ500 motor into a more modern aluminum-frame chassis? That's my dream project!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #25
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Anyone want to read about me stuffing an RZ500 motor into a more modern aluminum-frame chassis? That's my dream project!
Get busy, cant wait for the video. There are a few of the old multi cyl smokers running around Moto GP every year in the parking lots. I gaze enviously and whimper...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 AM   #26
JAS75
Registered Member

Default Top Ten Best Sounding Motorcycle Engines

I really love the sound of older model Moto Guzzis, especially the 1000sp: Moto Guzzi 1000 SP Lafranconi Sound auf Bergrennstrecke Happurg - YouTube
JAS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #27
Rick84
Registered Member

Default ST1300 with Exhaust

The thing I miss the most on my ER-6n over the GSX650F I have now is the sound of that parallel-twin. The seemingly uneven low-rpm consonance paired nicely with its high-rpm sporty timbre. The flat-plane crank I4, however, sounds like crap—they all do.

Nonetheless, my favorite exhaust, anywhere, thus far, is a Honda ST1300 fitted with Two Brothers' exhaust. The idle leads with an authoritative baritone that strikes the right balance between smooth and, "hey, I'm still an engine" and is tempered by the accompaniment of that classic, Honda V4 whirl. The pitch and amplitude move up appropriately with the revs and never becomes coarse or explosive. This restrained approach is refreshingly sophisticated, especially in a subculture whose "loud pipes save lives" ideology often leaves me with a few less months of hearing ability for my later years.

"V4's just have something inline-4's don't... and what v-twin's have too much of."

Start up and take off
Idle
Rick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #28
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Never heard an ST1300 with an exhaust before and it does sound awesome. The Interceptors sure do, as does the mighty VMAX. It is a crime against nature to ride a V4 with stock exhaust cans...

I have heard an RZ500 with chambers on it by the way. Made me feel all Wayne Rainey. Snap crackle pop and an evil hum. Love it.

Here is a short clip of my buddy with his very crispy RD400 for the 2 stroke fans!

Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #29
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Damn, this two-stroke discussion is getting me horned up again for the oil burners: RZ500 going through tunnel ACH - YouTube