Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Tom Roderick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
The Guzzi V8 was one of our "obvious omissions." The only reason we didn't include it is because it was a motorcycle none of us had ever heard in person (which was one of the few qualifications needed to be on this list).

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Hard to argue with the list but no 2 strokes?

I can think of a certain inline 6 that could make the list as well.
You would, lol

Harley's before the twin cam sound good, afterwords not so much. The best sounding HD I've ever heard was my cammed up '78 Sportster with drag pipes, pure wood everytime I started it up..

Agree with the RC166, Mike the Bike made that one wail, also the TZ750. I remember hearing Barry Sheene's screaming Suzuki at Oultan Park dicing it up with Kenny Roberts back in the 70's, also Roger DeCoster and Joel Roberts on Suzuki's mixing it up with Ake Jonsson and Hans Maisch of Maico's..Bengt Aaberg's Husqvarna keeping pace....

I guess I'm kind of a two stroke fan myself..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:08 AM   #13
Gerwin
Registered Member

I agree with all of the entries, and I understand the list is only 10 long, but number 11 would be the Norton Manx. I've heard them on numerous occasions, racing past in historic events, or warming up in the paddock. I don't particlarly like single cylinders, but the sound of the Manx is unique and can not only be heard, but also felt through the chest
Gerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerwin View Post
I agree with all of the entries, and I understand the list is only 10 long, but number 11 would be the Norton Manx. I've heard them on numerous occasions, racing past in historic events, or warming up in the paddock. I don't particlarly like single cylinders, but the sound of the Manx is unique and can not only be heard, but also felt through the chest
That would be much like a dozen BSA Goldstars hotshoeing it around a 1/2 mile oval dirt track. Mechanical Music.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
2doorcinema
Registered Member

I would have to say a boxer engine should have made that list.. absolutely unique, and for those who like em, the most beautiful sound in the world..
2doorcinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
valleycat001
Registered Member

Sorry, but why has nobody mentioned the Kawasaki triples? Totally unique, awesome sound and VERY worthy of top 10, if not top 5!
valleycat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
backroadbob.com
Registered Member

Default Best Sounding Bikes

Here, here for the Kaw Two-Stroke Triples and an honorable mention for a throaty, well-tuned mid-displacement thumper. I'd knock the parallel twin and drag bike off the list to make room.
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
rvfrules
Founding Member

The street-going VFRs featured gear-driven cams until 2001. How about some cleanup editing to get the facts right?
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadbob.com View Post
Here, here for the Kaw Two-Stroke Triples and an honorable mention for a throaty, well-tuned mid-displacement thumper. I'd knock the parallel twin and drag bike off the list to make room.
Agreed. When ridden off road, a mid bore thumper at work sounds awesome. I had not thought about it before buying the bike, but my Husaberg FE450, with it's downdraft intake trumpet sitting in the rider's lap makes the coolest combo of intake song and exhaust bark. Makes the rider want to find a big gnarly hill to let it eat and bathe in the sounds emanating from that thing.

I agree about the Kawi triples too. My buddy has a modded H2 750 with expansion chambers on it. If Satan likes bikes, he has one of these in Hell, because it sounds demonic!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Agreed. When ridden off road, a mid bore thumper at work sounds awesome. I had not thought about it before buying the bike, but my Husaberg FE450, with it's downdraft intake trumpet sitting in the rider's lap makes the coolest combo of intake song and exhaust bark. Makes the rider want to find a big gnarly hill to let it eat and bathe in the sounds emanating from that thing.

I agree about the Kawi triples too. My buddy has a modded H2 750 with expansion chambers on it. If Satan likes bikes, he has one of these in Hell, because it sounds demonic!
I knew a guy in LA in the 70s who had the H2, ported with chambers. It made an insane amount of horsepower in the most unpleasant manner possible. But it sounded like nothing else.