Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Agree with Dr. Sprocket about the ergos.

Another factor me me. Took a spin on a late model Harley. The low seat does keep the CG low and the considerable weight easy to manage, but I felt "low" in traffic and, compared to what I am used to, a bit dangerous. I am used to sitting up higher and being able to see. The low seat on the HD took that line of sight away. Just did not feel I could see as well, and the riding position was not one of control either. I don't want to lead with my head, sport bike style, but also don't want to lead so much with the feet either. Enjoyed the charismatic nature of the Harley engine though. Sure it is not fast, but it has solid torque and the exhaust note just speaks of adventures associated with drunk and disordely conduct

A BMW GS probably has the perfect riding position. It is tall, but who cares. It is a roomy and offers a commanding riding position. I ride dirt bikes too, so the big BMW I rode instantly felt familiar and good. Did not love the BMW engine though. It rolls out good power, but somehow manages to be boring to my taste. My FZ1 is pretty good, but a bit tight on leg room. My crash bars have forward "highway pegs" on them, which offers up a good approximation of an old Suzuki GS1000 riding position, with the feet just aft of directly below the grips. Works pretty good when my 49 year old knees start to complain, which generally occurs about 1.5 hours into the ride. Back to the future!

Thinking the functionally "perfect bike" for me would be the Duc Multistrada. They are just so darn ugly though.

Last edited by Duken4evr : 10-16-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Out of this group, the Harley has the look but the Triumph gets my vote. As a tall guy with long legs, I simply cannot tolerate the crazy seat-to-peg relationships the Superglide and Guzzi offer.
The good thing about the SGC (and any Harley) is that H-D and the aftermarket have many ergo options, especially in footpeg placements. Harder to change the location of the seat, but at least legroom can be altered fairly easily.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Kudos to the authors for putting these four bikes together! It was an informative comparison in a well-defined market segment. Bravo!
Glad this unusual concept was appealing. It was interesting for us to use each OEM's bike as a window into its philosophy about cruisers. Definitely not a cookie-cutter shootout!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

Thinking the functionally "perfect bike" for me would be the Duc Multistrada. They are just so darn ugly though.
As a sportbiking ex-dirtbiker, I'll bet the Multistrada is right up your alley. It's one of our fave all-'rounders, able to slice up a canyon road while comfortably touring to far-away places, and it also performs well in commuter roles with a commanding riding position you enjoy.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

A BMW GS probably has the perfect riding position. It is tall, but who cares. It is a roomy and offers a commanding riding position. I ride dirt bikes too, so the big BMW I rode instantly felt familiar and good. Did not love the BMW engine though. It rolls out good power, but somehow manages to be boring to my taste. My FZ1 is pretty good, but a bit tight on leg room. My crash bars have forward "highway pegs" on them, which offers up a good approximation of an old Suzuki GS1000 riding position, with the feet just aft of directly below the grips. Works pretty good when my 49 year old knees start to complain, which generally occurs about 1.5 hours into the ride. Back to the future!

I agree, the GS riding position is just right for me with some minor adjustments. The nice thing is there's tons of factory and aftermarket support for them. Just like the Harley you can custom fit one to your needs. That's the real selling point for me about HD, even though I snivel about the low seats and what-not if I wanted one I would buy it and just make the nessecary adjustments so it fit me as I have done with my HD's in the past.

The sh*tty brakes are another thing though and inexcusable in this day and age, especially considering the excellent triple disc ABS Brembo's they use on the touring line up.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Ya put yer fancy eyetalian breaks on that HOG and you'll go over the bars!

It ain't no rice rocket.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I agree, the GS riding position is just right for me with some minor adjustments. The nice thing is there's tons of factory and aftermarket support for them. Just like the Harley you can custom fit one to your needs. That's the real selling point for me about HD, even though I snivel about the low seats and what-not if I wanted one I would buy it and just make the nessecary adjustments so it fit me as I have done with my HD's in the past.

The sh*tty brakes are another thing though and inexcusable in this day and age, especially considering the excellent triple disc ABS Brembo's they use on the touring line up.
The Tiger is similar. All I needed was some bar risers and it's an excellent fit for all day riding or exploring fire roads. Could stand for the footpegs to be a tad lower though. As JB once said the best position for riding is like you are on a horse. They never put highway pegs on saddles.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The Tiger is similar. All I needed was some bar risers and it's an excellent fit for all day riding or exploring fire roads. Could stand for the footpegs to be a tad lower though. As JB once said the best position for riding is like you are on a horse. They never put highway pegs on saddles.
True enough!
Old 10-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #19
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I have adjustable Touratech desert pegs on my GS which are much wider and serrated for grip. I use them on the standard position but they adjust down and forward 40mm if needed. They may make some to fit the Tiger.

I have Touratech 1 inch risers and the Russell seat and it's about as comfortable a riding position as I've found, an added benefit with the Russell is the cut-out of the saddle shape is handy for gripping the bike when you're standing on the pegs when riding through the Starbucks parking lot.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
AustinHunt
Registered Member

Nice comparo. The photos of the Triumph are just gorgeous and your review didn't help. Now I have a bike lust that can't be cured until I go to Triumph dealer and ride it. Hopefully, for my bank account's sake I find some flaw when I ride it, otherwise I'll have a nice shiny bike in my garage. The Triumph looks so classic and well proportioned and you can't beat the price.
AustinHunt is offline   Reply With Quote