Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Arai Signet-Q Helmet Overview (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19543-2011-arai-signet-q-helmet-overview.html)

Administrator 10-12-2011 12:51 PM

2011 Arai Signet-Q Helmet Overview

Original Article:
2011 Arai Signet-Q Helmet Overview

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Arai Signet-Q Helmet Overview in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pushrod 10-12-2011 01:06 PM

'a sullen cheek area"?

Nice write-up, Troy!

I was looking at the new S-Q at Barber this past weekend. I'm still wearing my "Cathcart Replica" Signet-GT, and have a "UK Flag" Profile in air conditioned storage.

One thing you failed to mention was the quality of the paint jobs! They come alive in the sunshine! Gorgeous!

But, most definitely not for the "$10 head"!

jmdonald 10-12-2011 03:46 PM

High on Arai

My last two helmets have been Arai. The fit and venting sold me from day one. Their offerings are world class.

The Spaceman 10-12-2011 03:49 PM

"That said, the interior of the Signet-Q is fully replaceable with either standard pads or pads of varying thicknesses."

Does that mean the the entire interior/lining is replaceable, or the pads?

An Arai has never been worth $600+ to me because the linings aren't removable, let alone replaceable. In FL, a lining can be trashed with sweat in just one Summer. I wear Nolan now because I can take the lining out and wash it, but eventually it just wears out. If I could buy a new Arai lining every year or two for a reasonable price, it would change the equation.

jmdonald 10-12-2011 04:52 PM

Removable yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 268008)
"That said, the interior of the Signet-Q is fully replaceable with either standard pads or pads of varying thicknesses."

Does that mean the the entire interior/lining is replaceable, or the pads?

An Arai has never been worth $600+ to me because the linings aren't removable, let alone replaceable. In FL, a lining can be trashed with sweat in just one Summer. I wear Nolan now because I can take the lining out and wash it, but eventually it just wears out. If I could buy a new Arai lining every year or two for a reasonable price, it would change the equation.

The lining in both of my helmets was and is removable. I don't know if new linings are available for purchase or not.

The Spaceman 10-12-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 268010)
The lining in both of my helmets was and is removable. I don't know if new linings are available for purchase or not.

I might be confusing Arai with Shoei. Do you pull it and wash it from time to time? If so, does it go back in fairly easily and fit snug again?

jmdonald 10-12-2011 06:04 PM

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 268011)
I might be confusing Arai with Shoei. Do you pull it and wash it from time to time? If so, does it go back in fairly easily and fit snug again?

I wash it when needed in Woolite and it snaps back in easily and has retained its firmness so far. The side panels were a little snug when it was new but have since molded to the contours of my face. I have a solid color and was able to buy it online for less than 500. My original was fitted at the dealer so when it was time for a replacement I felt it safe to order online. I recommend Arai.

pushrod 10-13-2011 07:21 AM

Ken,

The Arai has both removable cheekpads and liner. Also, they offer different thicknesses of both items, so you can get a 'custom fit'. In fact, the buckets come in three (sometimes four) sizes, and the liners/pads make them a XL or XXL, for instance.

The Arai dude told me years ago to wash the liner and pads with the same stuff I wash my head with. Except he told me to hold off on the conditioner.

I use baby shampoo. Works great!

The Spaceman 10-13-2011 08:25 AM

To tell the truth, I wash my Nolan liner and pads in the machine with Tide. On "Delicate" cycle, of course.

Its hard to say if I'd like to go back to a non-flip helmet. I owned Shoei lids for years, but once I tried the Nolan I liked it. But it's noisey as hell, and the prime reason I liked flips was smoking, which I don't do anymore.

pushrod 10-13-2011 09:11 AM

Robert (The Service Pavilion) tells me he will be at BiketoberFest, so if you can, get to see him for a 'fitting'. It's free, and extremely educational.

It's amazing what the right hat can feel like!

But he also told me that it's time to retire my old Cathcart Replica! :(