Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
darth whaler
Registered Member

Default Below Book Value! Wait...what?!

Hello, all. I'm new to the forum, and to street bikes. I grew up riding the dirty ones.

There's a dealer nearby that has an '05 Suzuki Boulevard C50T that has caught my eye. It is selling pretty far below both KBB and NADA pricing. I haven't seen it in person (yet). I've read several guides on what to look for when buying used, so I think I'm all set there. My question is, have any of you ever found a great deal on a great used bike, or is this just too good to be true?

Thanks, and cheers!
darth whaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Squid Killer
Registered Member

Ask them how long they have had it sitting in the dealership. They may be trying to get it off the lot. If they bought it from the owner for a really low price they can still make a good profit if they are asking a low price.

FZ1, R6, Gold Wing, EX250, Seca 2, TTR230, Metropolitan.
Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

I got a Triumph Tiger for about half price a couple years back. If business is really bad sometimes a dealer will let a bike go at a loss just to move some inventory.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

An '05 is a 6 year old Japanese bike, they don't hold their value as well some others so selling below book isn't that unusual. If it's in good shape with no crash damage or "performance enhancing parts" then it's probably a good deal. Remember you're always better off buying a stock bike, there's some mighty dumb SOB's running around that can screw up a decent bike in no time flat with their "performance mods". If you buy it you'll pay hell trying to get everything back into correct working order.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I bought a 2006 M50 with 10K miles on it last year for $3200 (from a private party). It had a PCIII and a loud exhaust. I had him put on the stock exhaust and sold the loud exhaust for $200. So I basically got the bike for $3000. It's a buyer's market, especially now at the end of the riding season.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
I bought a 2006 M50 with 10K miles on it last year for $3200 (from a private party). It had a PCIII and a loud exhaust. I had him put on the stock exhaust and sold the loud exhaust for $200. So I basically got the bike for $3000. It's a buyer's market, especially now at the end of the riding season.
Heh. I'm surprised you only got $200 out of the exhaust - the guy that bought it from you probably thought he was "robbing a fool"! Heh. The Fool.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
darth whaler
Registered Member

Thanks for all the responses! The only additions to the bike appear to be an exhaust, seat, and highway bars. The bike looks to be very well kept, but I'll definitely be taking a flashlight with me to get into all the nooks and crannies. With any luck, I'll be posting some picks of my new bike, bought at a bargain basement price!

Thanks again, everyone. Cheers.
darth whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Take a flashlight and open the gas tank. Look inside for rust. Suzuki are notorious for clogging their fuel filters, fuel pumps, and injectors with rust, if they sit unused for a long time. The FI bikes are particularly bad because the pump is inside the tank, and has an internal filter.

If the tank is rusty, don't buy it.