Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Actually, the engine characters will be quite a bit different. The Monster will make more power earlier, and more peak torque, but the 848's horsepower of, say, 115 at the wheel, will demolish the Monster's 85-90.
So, which one is the better bike for all-around use? I'd love to see that comparo (or something similar)!
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
So, which one is the better bike for all-around use? I'd love to see that comparo (or something similar)!
Not a bad idea...
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Is the Monster still air-cooled, versus water for the 848?
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Is the Monster still air-cooled, versus water for the 848?
Yep. Yep. Yep.

Yep. Yep.

Yep.

Had to get by the filter.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Put some Termongoni pipes with no baffles and a dry clutch with a cutaway cover on a Monster, and you've got a real live Duck.
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Put some Termongoni pipes with no baffles and a dry clutch with a cutaway cover on a Monster, and you've got a real live Duck.
I've got Termi pipes with no baffles on my GT.

It has a wet clutch though.

That rattle, rattle, rattle gets annoying in traffic after a while.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I've got Termi pipes with no baffles on my GT.

It has a wet clutch though.

That rattle, rattle, rattle gets annoying in traffic after a while.
That's the "Sound of Freedom, " son.

Did you ever get that gas tank issue straightened out? I'd like a GT, its a very cool bike, but not if I have to replace the gas tank every six months.
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
That's the "Sound of Freedom, " son.

Did you ever get that gas tank issue straightened out? I'd like a GT, its a very cool bike, but not if I have to replace the gas tank every six months.
No, it's still an issue.

When I was flying back from FL I ran into a few Ducati employees in the airport and mentioned the tank issue. He nodded his head and didn't offer much more than a "we're working on it."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
No, it's still an issue.

When I was flying back from FL I ran into a few Ducati employees in the airport and mentioned the tank issue. He nodded his head and didn't offer much more than a "we're working on it."
My Shovelhaead tanks had a few questionable seams/welds, so I coated them with Creeme (sp?). The stuff dries into a plastic material that completely lines the tank. If the gas itself is the problem, ie: the alcohol content, it seems like that would be a good fix.

A damn shame, it's such a great bike in so many other ways. Let me know if you want to sell it...I'll get you out of it without your taking too bad a beating.
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
My Shovelhaead tanks had a few questionable seams/welds, so I coated them with Creeme (sp?). The stuff dries into a plastic material that completely lines the tank. If the gas itself is the problem, ie: the alcohol content, it seems like that would be a good fix.

A damn shame, it's such a great bike in so many other ways. Let me know if you want to sell it...I'll get you out of it without your taking too bad a beating.
The tank doesn't leak, it's shape distorts. It spreads until it's not firmly seated in the forward mounting brackets.

You can keep your Shovelhead cream in your pants where it belongs.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off