Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Yamaha Zuma 50F Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19435-2012-yamaha-zuma-50f-review.html)

Administrator 09-27-2011 09:13 AM

2012 Yamaha Zuma 50F Review
 

Original Article:
2012 Yamaha Zuma 50F Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Yamaha Zuma 50F Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

schizuki 09-27-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

As far as fuel mileage goes, after an entire day of running around San Francisco at wide-open throttle, the fuel needle hardly moved.
Um... great. So what does that mean in MPG? That's pretty much in the top 2 priorities for a scooter review. Apologies if I'm missing it.

I dig scooters, and this sounds like a perfect bike for a large city. If I lived in one, I'd be perfectly happy with it as an only-bike (well, maybe a 125...) Always liked the looks of the Zuma, and its dirt-road-ability. But I live in a small city, and it just doesn't make sense for me. For short around-town trips, I use a bicycle (infinite MPG). For longer jaunts, a motorcycle (50 MPG). Outside of a big city, a scooter is too much of a tweener.

A large Southern or California city? It would replace my car, too.

Kevin_Duke 09-27-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 267182)
Um... great. So what does that mean in MPG? That's pretty much in the top 2 priorities for a scooter review. Apologies if I'm missing it.

I dig scooters, and this sounds like a perfect bike for a large city. If I lived in one, I'd be perfectly happy with it as an only-bike (well, maybe a 125...) Always liked the looks of the Zuma, and its dirt-road-ability. But I live in a small city, and it just doesn't make sense for me. For short around-town trips, I use a bicycle (infinite MPG). For longer jaunts, a motorcycle (50 MPG). Outside of a big city, a scooter is too much of a tweener.

A large Southern or California city? It would replace my car, too.

Press launches don't usually provide opportunity for actual as-tested fuel economy numbers. But based on Yamaha's 132 mpg claim, it should be next to impossible to get less than 100 mpg on the Zuma.

pushrod 09-27-2011 02:28 PM

A buddy has a Ruckus that he loves.

He doesn't ride it around town (it's mostly a camping trip and racetrack 'pitbike') because it is too slow, and can't get out of the way quickly enough. It's all it can do to get to and maintain anything more than 35mph.



Speaking of camping and racetracks, don't forget the Barber Vintage Festival (7 - 9 October)!

schizuki 09-27-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 267185)
But based on Yamaha's 132 mpg claim, it should be next to impossible to get less than 100 mpg on the Zuma.

Well, based on this sentence from the article - "Wegener informed me that the real-world mileage numbers for his two-stroke Zuma are nothing close to the 123 mpg Yamaha claims. Instead, he gets around 60 mpg on his “tuned for mileage” gen-two Zuma" - I'd say it would be very possible to get only 65 mpg.

My Sportster gets 55. Of course, it can't carry a six-pack, a fifth of Jack and a Beretta under the seat, so the Zuma has that going for it. Which is nice.

Kevin_Duke 09-27-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 267194)
Well, based on this sentence from the article - "Wegener informed me that the real-world mileage numbers for his two-stroke Zuma are nothing close to the 123 mpg Yamaha claims. Instead, he gets around 60 mpg on his “tuned for mileage” gen-two Zuma" - I'd say it would be very possible to get only 65 mpg.

My Sportster gets 55. Of course, it can't carry a six-pack, a fifth of Jack and a Beretta under the seat, so the Zuma has that going for it. Which is nice.

I'm gonna guess Wegener rides fast, as getting barely more mpg than a Sportster is ridiculous. Also, the extra torque of the 50F over the two-stroke 50 is going to require less throttle, which equals more mileage. Plus, two-strokes aren't known for their fuel economy, so I stick by my guess I'd be able to extract 100 miles from a gallon of fuel in a 50F.

schizuki 09-27-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 267196)
I'm gonna guess Wegener rides fast, as getting barely more mpg than a Sportster is ridiculous. Also, the extra torque of the 50F over the two-stroke 50 is going to require less throttle, which equals more mileage. Plus, two-strokes aren't known for their fuel economy, so I stick by my guess I'd be able to extract 100 miles from a gallon of fuel in a 50F.

Yeah, that makes more sense. 65 mpg from a scooter sounds ludicrous. Quickie search shows the 125 Zuma getting 80-100 real world.

seruzawa 09-27-2011 07:11 PM

My first bike, a Honda 50, got about 125mpg and that was with the throttle WTFO. How do you get 60mpg out of a 50?

Personally I think 50s to be a poor choice unless you live in really congested urban environments. 125cc Scooter will do more like 55mph vs the 50's 40mph and don't get all that worse mileage.

Kevin_Duke 09-27-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 267199)
Personally I think 50s to be a poor choice unless you live in really congested urban environments. 125cc Scooter will do more like 55mph vs the 50's 40mph and don't get all that worse mileage.

Yep, a 125's higher-ranging speeds makes it more versatile, but a Zuma jumps off curbs really good.

The Spaceman 09-28-2011 07:06 AM

50 mpg on a Sportster? Wow, that's great mileage. Must be the FI.

My Mini's gas mileage is comparable to my Vee's, which is around 25-30 mpg real-world, commuting mileage. Not exactly "stellar."


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46 AM.