Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19393-2012-harley-davidson-dyna-super-glide-custom-review.html)

Administrator 09-20-2011 12:39 PM

2012 Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom Review

Original Article:
2012 Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

sarnali2 09-21-2011 09:45 AM

I love Superglides but the first thing you have to do is mount forward controls and taller bars on them. Their obsession with marketing to shrimps has taken them from decent bikes to next to useless for anyone over 5.5, now it's biting them on the ass with minimal cornering clearance too. A decent set of shocks and a peg/bar revise isn't that expensive and turns them into pretty good do-it-all bikes.

None of the touring bikes suffer from this though you can certainly scrape floorboards easy enough.

Captain Steve 09-21-2011 11:04 AM

Think I'd just get the C90.

Kevin_Duke 09-21-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 266879)
I love Superglides but the first thing you have to do is mount forward controls and taller bars on them. Their obsession with marketing to shrimps has taken them from decent bikes to next to useless for anyone over 5.5, now it's biting them on the ass with minimal cornering clearance too. A decent set of shocks and a peg/bar revise isn't that expensive and turns them into pretty good do-it-all bikes.

None of the touring bikes suffer from this though you can certainly scrape floorboards easy enough.

The Street and Road Glides have just 2 inches of rear travel, so they actually do suffer the low seat height craze.

Dr_Sprocket 09-21-2011 06:32 PM

So, what's better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 266904)
The Street and Road Glides have just 2 inches of rear travel, so they actually do suffer the low seat height craze.

Which Harley touring rigs actually have decent suspensions?

seruzawa 09-21-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 266879)

HD finally made the last decent big twin unusable. Sad.

Buzglyd 09-21-2011 06:39 PM

I wouldn't mount forward controls.

I'd mount highway pegs.

My Low Rider had mid mount controls which were nice in the corners or when you had to stand up on a long trip or while bouncing over railroad tracks.

The highway pegs offered an extra place to put your feet and you could shift with your heel if you wanted.

Buzglyd 09-21-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Steve (Post 266891)

Think I'd just get the C90.

That thing is a hideous, abomination of a motorcycle.

The Spaceman 09-22-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 266914)
That thing is a hideous, abomination of a motorcycle.

You ARE speaking of the C90, right?

I like this new Super Glide. It looks like a modern version of my '77 Low Rider, as it should. It is a shame they slammed the suspension, but the fact is a lot of guys install 1" under shocks anyway.

About the riding position, my Low Rider had a bit of that too, especially with the Mustang Gunfighter seat versus the OEM unit. I never minded it though, and I'll take that over the Barco-lounger feet-forward position any day. Besides, having your knees and thighs splayed out into the wind routes critical cooling air to the crotchial unit...an important feature in Florida.

sarnali2 09-22-2011 07:21 AM

Well since you asked, in my experience if when sitting on the bike your thighs are level or in a reverse angle IE your knees higher than your hips your legs tend to fall outward, that puts a strain on the crotch muscles because your are constantly fighting the wind to keep your legs in. Bikes with the thigh slightly below level IE knees lower than hips cause your legs to fall inward in a relaxed or neutral position with no strain on the crotch muscles.

That's why Harley mid-mounts on the Dyna and new Sporty models stink. The Shovelhead and Ironhead Sporties were much different frames and higher seats so they were fine comfort wise. The new frames are in order of magnitude much better handlers however their obsession with "Low" everything has IMO ruined them.

That's why I always put forward controls on my Dyna's, they bring my legs back to a more neutral position. The problem with straight Highway Pegs is that the brake pedal is way back there and given the Dyna's less-than-steller brakes you need all you can get. You'll notice the standard FLH and FLHT models also have neutral riding positions and duel discs which is a vast improvement, though as Duke pointed out the lower models still suffer from skewed riding positions for a 6 footer like myself.

Of course the simple solution is to buy a Tiger or GS or even a Vstrom and not have to worry about comfort or brakes.....

Post Script: I suppose a Super Tenere`, Multi Strada or Stelvio would also fall into the "ride the wheels off it and don't worry" category