Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Electric Motorcycle Racing Season Wrap-Up

Original Article:
Electric Motorcycle Racing Season Wrap-Up

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Electric Motorcycle Racing Season Wrap-Up in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

What, no MO readers care to comment on e-bikes...?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
mlynch001
Registered Member

I think this is VERY interesting and very exciting! I hope this gets off the ground.

I do ask that you PLEASE stop with the "Carbon Neutral" and "Green" BS. The electricity to charge the batteries, make the welds, mold the plastic, etc. etc. are NOT carbon neutral. So, even though these bikes do not burn hydrocarbon fuels directly, the electrons to charge the batteries very likely comes from coal or natural gas. The press and the country in general is taking this "Green" stuff way too seriously. The recent news about the billions in taxpayer dollars that were sent down the tubes at some California "green" manufacturers should be caution enough to temper this mad rush to paint everything "Green"! I want clean air, water and all that, just stop with the propaganda that Solar Cells, Windmills and Electric everything is the answer to our problems.

The advances in batteries and the many other technological breakthroughs should be reason enough to encourage the further development of these bikes. This technology WILL trickle down to a very diverse cross section of our daily lives. As with the Space Program back in the 60's & 70's, we cannot imagine the benefits that may be derived from this portion of the sport.

The lack of noise is going to be a problem! Part of the excitement of ANY motorsports is the aural stimulation! Is it possible to imagine an almost silent Top Fuel Dragster? NASCAR, Moto-GP or F1 without the thunder or scream of the engines? That might be the most difficult "technical" hurdle to overcome.
mlynch001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Captain Steve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
What, no MO readers care to comment on e-bikes...?
Meh.

I'm a rider, not a race fan, so motorcycle racing in general isn't something I'm interested in. I'd rather be out on MY bike than watch someone else go fast around a track on theirs. That and they're electric which I've written off as "not quite there yet" in general.

It was interesting to see that the top electric bikes are now running times that would put them mid-pack with the gas bikes.
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
The Spaceman
Registered Member

I think its interesting as heck, and am STILL on the waiting list for an Empulse. But this site's forum is decidedly uninterested in E-Bikes, so I've left the topic alone.

"We are rooting for TTXGP and electric motorcycle racing to find its momentum. Motorsports needs this kind of innovation. And the guys taking the lead deserve our attention and respect."

Could not have said it better myself.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
reepicheep
Founding Member

Default Actually, a carbon neutral race *would* be really cool

A true carbon neutral race would be really cool... picture this:

1) Weekly races (sunday afternoon)
2) Season starts with a flat battery.
3) Battery can *only* be charged by the racer. Put them on a stationary bicycle with a generator, and that's the only way the battery gets charged. They have all week.

Smaller riders use less power, but bigger racers can generate more power. Battery technology needs to be such that it can actually hold a charge for a week or more. More efficient bikes demand less from the racers. Racers in the best shape make the most power.

It would probably need to look more like an SCCA course than Mid Ohio, but it would be interesting!

I'm guessing a racer in pretty good shape over the course of a week could generate enough charge to run a bike at 30-40 mph for at least 20 minutes.

So it would be kind of like the tour-de-france in fast forward.

(and actually, truth be told, it's not carbon neutral anyway, as racers will eat lots of food and create lots of carbon dioxide)
reepicheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I think its interesting as heck, and am STILL on the waiting list for an Empulse. But this site's forum is decidedly uninterested in E-Bikes, so I've left the topic alone.

"We are rooting for TTXGP and electric motorcycle racing to find its momentum. Motorsports needs this kind of innovation. And the guys taking the lead deserve our attention and respect."

Could not have said it better myself.
Curious to know what the latest info from Brammo is about Empulse deliveries?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Curious to know what the latest info from Brammo is about Empulse deliveries?
Here's the latest I got from El Presidente:

05-02-11

Dear Kenneth Moore,
Thank you for your support and interest in Brammo and the 100 mph Empulse. I want to provide you an update on the production development of your Empulse. We have very high expectations of all of our products, and from the response, interest and feedback we have received, the world is eager to get their hands on Brammo’s greatest creation so far: our electric street bike. We have been testing and developing more groundbreaking technology which has proven to greatly improve acceleration. I will continue to update you about this exciting technology as news becomes available.

With such intense interest in the Empulse, Brammo teams and suppliers across the globe are working hard to deliver you a motorcycle of the level of quality Brammo riders have come to expect. We had a tough decision to make recently: Deliver the Empulse this riding season, or integrate our latest technology and deliver a superior bike in 2012. After much deliberation, we decided to be true to our values and build the best bike we can. We still have a good amount of work and testing to do in order to bring you the world's greatest electric motorcycle. We believe it is going to be worth the wait. For those of you who are interested, we plan to involve some of you in test riding the new Empulse once we have completed the safety testing.

This week we will be announcing some new prototype models based on the new technology. These bikes have helped us thoroughly test and prove the technology that is being integrated into the Empulse.

We truly appreciate your patience. Meanwhile, we have a lot of work to do. We are signing up the best dealers we can find to carry the growing family of Brammo motorcycles, so if you have a dealer you trust and respect, be sure to tell us, as we value your opinion.

Once we have appointed a Brammo dealer near you, we will be communicating with them to work with you on the details of the purchase and delivery of your Empulse. I wanted you to hear this exciting news directly and so I would be most grateful if you didn’t discuss any of this with the media until it is formally announced on Wednesday.

I will be in touch again soon...

Sincerely,
Craig Bramscher
CEO and Founder Brammo Inc.

Having trouble reading this? View it in your browser. Not interested? Unsubscribe instantly.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Since you asked, I think they suck and have absolutely no interest in owning one. furthermore I agree with the other poster that this whole "green" crap is nothing but an excuse for smegma like Al Gore to jam it up the consumers collective asses and break it off. all the while reaping profits from misguided fools who think electricity comes out of thin air.

The base metals for the Nickle Cadmium batteries most "green" vehicles use is mined in South Africa, a country not noted for it's environmental stewardship, nor for it's treatment of the virtual slave labor used in mining theses materials, incidentally among the most toxic metals on earth. I'm guessing here but S.A.'s Mine Safety authorities are probably a little less diligent than our own woeful Mine Safety Administration. This does nothing to take into consideration the refining and manufacture of the batteries themselves, which oddly enough takes place in China, another country not known being overly ethical in it's treatment of it's indigenous labor force nor it's environmental awareness. We'll overlook the shipping costs of carting these products from Africa to China and back to the US for now.

Then there's those other shining beacons of feel good enviromentalism: Those little spirally compact florescent light bulbs. They cost 4 times as much to purchase, don't last any longer than an incandescent bulb and require considerable energy to produce and transport. Since almost all are produced in China, which incidentally relies on coal for electrical generation and whose minimally regulated power plants sh*t bomb the jet stream with fly ash containing sulfur dioxide, nitrides of oxygen and carbon monoxide among other things. These little buggers contribute a few thousand times their weight in total energy cost than a plain old incandescent light bulb and contain mercury, which finds it's way into landfills worldwide to trickle it's way down into the soil and aquifers. Incandescent light bulbs by comparison are produced here or in Mexico, which provides jobs and a hope of a decent living standard for thousands of people and are benign as a safety issue unless you cut your finger on a broken one.

Should I stop now or would you like to consider that other paragon of Green-Think: The giant windmill?.....worked great in Holland in the middle ages to pump water and grind grain, why not use it now to produce energy?... Well unfortunately the wind doesn't blow at a constant velocity so you can forget about a stable electrical grid, that's assuming you can find enough bare ground to plant the millions of them that you would need even if they did work as propogandized..... er... I mean advertised....

I could go on but I'm sure no one wants to hear it so I'll just say no, I'm not interested in electric motorcycles and likely won't become so anytime soon..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 09-23-2011 at 12:15 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Here's the latest I got from El Presidente:

05-02-11...
So nothing from them in 4.5 months?