Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
So nothing from them in 4.5 months?

They announced a strategic partnership with SMRE, but that was just a few days after the letter. So no, nothing in 4+ months.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post

I could go on but I'm sure no one wants to hear it so I'll just say no, I'm not interested in electric motorcycles and likely won't become so anytime soon..
Of course we want to "hear it." It's very important that you share your feelings with the group. Please, go on.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Since you asked, I think they suck and have absolutely no interest in owning one. furthermore I agree with the other poster that this whole "green" crap is nothing but an excuse for smegma like Al Gore to jam it up the consumers collective asses and break it off. all the while reaping profits from misguided fools who think electricity comes out of thin air...
You make many good points here, but there's not stopping the advancement of electric vehicles and the batteries that power them. Advances are arriving at a frantic pace. E-bikes at this weekend's e-Power championship at Le Mans lapped 26 seconds quicker than last year. BTW, NiCad batteries are like steam power was 100 years ago - a stepping stone to better technology, i.e. lithium.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
You make many good points here, but there's not stopping the advancement of electric vehicles and the batteries that power them. Advances are arriving at a frantic pace. E-bikes at this weekend's e-Power championship at Le Mans lapped 26 seconds quicker than last year. BTW, NiCad batteries are like steam power was 100 years ago - a stepping stone to better technology, i.e. lithium.

I agree the days of internal combustion engines are numbered and I hopefully we'll all be around to see what shakes out. I'm as curious as anyone else.

Not to be pedantic but steam power revolutionized manufacturing and in turn peoples quality of life in such a way that nothing else save computers has, and is still predominantly in use today in electrical generation.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
I agree the days of internal combustion engines are numbered and I hopefully we'll all be around to see what shakes out. I'm as curious as anyone else.

Not to be pedantic but steam power revolutionized manufacturing and in turn peoples quality of life in such a way that nothing else save computers has, and is still predominantly in use today in electrical generation.
Okay, I should've referenced personal mobility when I downgraded steam power.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Okay, I should've referenced personal mobility when I downgraded steam power.

My money's on TDI diesels in the short term, I think that's one area where the Europeans are miles ahead of us in that small diesels power many more cars per capita than here.The infrastructure and distribution network are already in place. I think that electric powered vehicles are going to be an evolutionary dead end for personal transport, just like your referenced steam powered cars were.

It should be interesting to see what crops up as an alternative

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

"I could go on but I'm sure no one wants to hear it so I'll just say no, I'm not interested in electric motorcycles and likely won't become so anytime soon.."

Awesome. Now fluff up that puffy hat, fill up that big white coffee mug, prop your feet up on the metal desk and take a well-deserved (and Union Mandated) break!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #18
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
My money's on TDI diesels in the short term, I think that's one area where the Europeans are miles ahead of us in that small diesels power many more cars per capita than here.The infrastructure and distribution network are already in place. I think that electric powered vehicles are going to be an evolutionary dead end for personal transport, just like your referenced steam powered cars were.

It should be interesting to see what crops up as an alternative
A TDI in a motorcycle is a bit of a mismatch, IMO. Too heavy and not responsive enough for a relatively lightweight motorcycle. Whether it's the best path or not, electric bikes are going to get more useful and cheaper as worldwide development marches on.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
A TDI in a motorcycle is a bit of a mismatch, IMO. Too heavy and not responsive enough for a relatively lightweight motorcycle. Whether it's the best path or not, electric bikes are going to get more useful and cheaper as worldwide development marches on.
Like the electric cars?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
Kingshead
Registered Member

0-60 in .8 seconds, under 7 seconds 1/4 mile eta's (new stats since this airing), man is this gonna hurt.

Electric Motorcycle Crash - YouTube